Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 432 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Kathi
    When you think about levels of giftedness, what about varying levels among your own children? My oldest is moderately gifted and my youngest (I have only 2) is highly gifted. So when he started mastering things that she was only just beginning to get, even though she was 2 grades ahead of her age, since he was 2 years younger than she is, she felt "stupid."

How do you deal with several gifted siblings at various levels of giftedness?

I spend most of my time dealing with sibling issues and thinking about how I should be approaching them, so I wanted to start this as a separate thread so it wasn't buried in the other discussion.

Last edited by gratified3; 08/03/12 02:49 PM.
    Originally Posted by J
    I'm quite impressed that you are still winning! I am not good at chess and I don't even enjoy it that much, but I do find the game interesting in theory. I just read "Searching for Bobby Fisher" in the last month, and it was interesting. I no longer play with my DS6 because he offered me a spot recently. He still plays his father where dad has to give up a bishop or knight, but with me, he offered to play without a rook so it would be a more interesting game for him.

I confess to being completely humiliated . . . if DH isn't around, I make him play with his brother now.

Ah - HA! Moment Alert!

the best, best thing you can do for your dd, is to get over your humiliation v. your son/chess/rook. You have to be the kind of person you want to raise, and I know you want to raise your daughter to be someone who accepts her stengths and weaknesses and plows on ahead, being part of the fun.....do you see the connection here?

While I believe that subject acceleration can work, and know a living breating wildly PG boy who hasn't had a single gradeskip, only he only spends PE and health with his agemates, doing High School in Middle School and University (not CC) since his single digit years, I do tend to agree with your husband about the elaborate sham. I didn't know how to say it, until I read the chess entry on the other thread! Bingo! When you can play hard, and lose, on an uneven field, against DS you will be well on your way to 'holding the mirror' for DD and letting her see something beautiful.

I see such beauty when I look at you, dear J!
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    K
    K
    Oh Dottie, that is so funny. That is exactly what my son when he plays chess with me. He absolutely refuses to take my queen. What sweet boys!

I think my problem is the exact opposite. DD was my first and is my HG child. She did a lot of things early but the main one was speech. By 1 year old she was fluent. Now my ds is 4yrs younger. He is nowhere near where she was with speech. As a matter of fact, there are times I wonder if he is actually behind for his age. My problem is that my dd is my benchmark and Im afraid that I have these unreasonably high expectations for ds because of my experience with dd.

The other day ds starting exhibiting some traits that dd had as a toddler. He's starting to articulate things he remembers that are uncanny and so Im wondering if he has a bit of that memory that my dd has. He has also been the master of puzzles for about a year. I find that because his speech is still developing I dont see him as being advanced like my dd was, which I think is unfair to him! I don't give the little guy enough credit! frown

Opps!
    Well I certianly plain out resent my son's musical ability. I'm also pleased and proud of him, but parenting is a tangled mess sometimes. So I could imagine a negative reaction to being beaten in chess, by such a pipsqueak, cute though he may be!

I love the idea that as your daughter's world becomes bigger, she will find other people for self-comparison. Getting a reasonable standard of comparison is one of the trickiest things for gifted folks, regardless of LOG. I myself grew up overshadowed by my younger brother's talents. The things that were special about me were just seen as weird, while the things that were special about him were 'so amazing.' I think developing a family motto, family stock stories, and family saying must play a really important role in families with siblings of differing LOG. Corny stuff like "It's not how quick you get it, it's how long you keep it." or "Fair isn't everyone the same, fair is each get what they need." As a sibling of twins, I have an insiders view of how much stress that puts on a family. So my hat is off to you, J!

Smiles,
    Trintiy

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    We have sibling issues. DS9 is clearly very gifted in math, moreso than his older brothers. DS13 is enough older that he doesn't feel threatened but definitely appreciates it and is sometimes wowed. Meanwhile DS11 has historically felt very threatened by it. I've had to ask teachers to keep DS9 a few lessons behind DS11 when they were in the same class. Now they're in different schools (till next year) and things have been peaceful. However, last night they were playing a great ThinkFun game called Math Dice, altogether with DS 6. DS 9 won almost every time and DS11 was a little fragile and teary. I have no real solutions--they're all amazing and brilliant in my eyes. We'll see what I can figure out for not getting in each others' way in jr high/HS.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years