Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
    D
    D
    Both kids had apparent receptive language understanding by 4-5 months. My son spoke early and often while my daughter started conversing late, at 2 �, when her 6 month old brother started speaking. Although she was quiet, as an only child for her first 2 years with me as her full-time caregiver, she was able to direct us through gestures, eye contact and facial expression. I didn�t keep track of new words. When my son started part-time day care at 14 months, the teachers were astonished by how well spoke and his conversation topics. The director commented that he spoke as well as their most advanced Kers, which was as high as the program went. There was no denying his behavioral differences as compared to age peers when he was a toddler. At the same time, our daughter spoke better, but less, than her age peers so she stayed under the radar more, but her teacher and program director did mention that she was highly mature socially.

They each walked at 9 months and ran by 11 months. We didn�t have stairs when our daughter was a baby, but our son climbed stairs at 11 months.

A
    A
    DD began talking well under a year (like maybe 6mos. or so) and toddled at 11 mos for about two days before running. She hasn't stopped since.

T
    T
    Both of my kids were more noted for their climbing than their walking (stairs and jungle gyms--DD climbed jungle gym all the way to the top at 1 year). Both took first steps before a year, but found crawling much faster and more effective in getting to what they wanted ahead of us smile DS stuck with walking once he got going, but DD, even after she could run a bit, preferred crawling until close to 14 months.

Clear words for both kids were around a year, but when I looked back at journals I saw that both children sang back at us by six months. If animal sounds count, then DD's first words were probably around 10 months when she would make sounds in anticipation of the next page in Moo, Baa, La,La,La. DS was using Maaaa Maaa along with the sign (one of the few I knew) by ten months to request "more". What we noticed most about language was how rapid the acquisition was once they started. DD was quicker to use phrases (16 months)but both acquired adjectives before their peers and DD's enunciation was always crystal clear. Very few of those cute words most toddlers create by mixing syllables or missing blends.

M
    M
    DS said his first word around 5 to 6 months.

He didn't walk until he was around 16 months.

- Kate, mom to Ray
    I have 3 DD's all spoke their first word(s) at 6 months oldest walked before 9 months 2nd(my DYS) walked at 10months and 3rd walked just after 9 months. So all of them were in a hurry smile

S
    S
    The most amazing thing about my daughter is that I can't say when she did her first social smile, cause I think she may have come out that way! Everyone told us it was impossible, so I kept doubting it, but when we visited her ped just before three weeks, the doctor was surprised as she had never seen a baby smile at her at such a young age. She also didn't cry much at all, but instead orated non-words within a few hours of birth. It always irritated me when I read that crying is a baby's only way of communicating.

Anyway, walking was 9 months 9 days (dancing and running by 12 months), not sure about crawling. She sang (no decipherable words) when she was maybe 6 months. She was very shy about talking, so I can't say when she started, but she used many other communication techniques to tell stories about the day when a caretaker would come home. I will not be surprised when she becomes a performer. She didn't switch to speaking until almost 18 months, but was almost instantly talking in sentences. (She is a bilingual child who likes to learn things "secretly.") At 20 months she used to play with language (i.e. restate phrases using different tenses and sentence structures) , and was cracking jokes by this time as well.

Originally Posted by CBorner
    Well my DS missed a fish and said "G*d D*mn Stupid fishy" You could have blown me over with a feather.

BWAHAHAHHA!!

When Mr W was about a year old, a friend was talking about cars, and said, "I'm thinking about getting a Mercedes-Benz."

Mr W, clear as a bell, says, "What is a Mercedes?"

I responded, "It is a type of car."

My friend could have been knocked over with a feather!!

M
    M
    blush blush blush I don't remember! I think DD started using simple words about 6 - 7 months and walking independently at 13 months. With DS its hard to remember a time when he wasn't talking. He started walking at about 11 months. One of the most memorable things for me about DS was his love of spelling words backwards when he was 3. His favourite word was hippopotamus. grin

T
    T
    with my DD3, she said words like tweezers, water, kicking, at 9 or ten months, and started walking at 13 months. Her language and understanding really took off and she knew letter sounds, upper and lower case letters, difficult shapes etc. by a little over 1 and a half. My other DD1, who I am not so sure about in terms of giftedness,lifted her head the day she was born, rolled over at three weeks, had her first social smile at three weeks old and walked early (awful I don't remember when) but she didn't talk as much and as early as the first. Her tongue muscles weren't strong even though she understood everything. Once her tongue got more coordinated, she just surprises me every day with how much she can say. My first is very advanced verbally and conitively and even with fine motor, but has never been strong in gross motor ways. My second is much more athletic and coordinated so it will be interested to see how they develop over time.

Last edited by TwinkleToes; 12/22/09 04:50 AM.
    S
    S
    My daughter was speaking in complete sentences by 11-12 months and started walking at 12 months.

My son has always been more physical. He started rolling over at 9 days old and walking at 9 months old (and now at 5 has been selected for the team program in gymnastics). He was speaking in sentences around 18 months.

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM