Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #58331 10/14/09 07:07 PM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    What do you know about the Behavior Assessment for Children? It was a questionnaire that the school gave me to fill out about DS7, and his teachers (last year's and this year's) got some slightly different ones as well. This is in preparation for the doctor's visit that we have on Friday to see about Asperger's.

I knew when I filled it out that it was going to be bad, but we have what look to me like some truly horrific scores on this thing! I guess we'll have to see what the doctor says. I was just curious what anyone else might think about it.

Nautigal #59240 10/24/09 05:39 AM
    Dh and I filled those out, as well as ds and a couple of teachers, for a very thorough assessment we had last year for ds, 8 at the time. It's been a while, but I think there are questions on it that might indicate add, aspergers, mood disorders, and probably other stuff.
    I thought it was a pretty good assessment, though long, iirc. In the end we had 'normal' ratings from both teachers, myself and ds. Dh's and my ratings were a bit higher but not much. I thought it was good that they took this information from so many people, it helps you get a bit of a 'sanity' check. That is, even if mine was a little high on attention issues, when the teachers both rated ok on this, I felt a lot better that we were getting a broader picture of our ds.

Last edited by chris1234; 10/24/09 05:39 AM.
    T
    T
    Like all rating scales, the BASC is a subjective look at a child. Each person who fills it out has to do so through the lens of their own experiences with other children. One way to think about it is that there are two possible outcomes: high levels of agreement between home and school or low levels of agreement between home and school. In the first case, areas that are "at risk" or "clinically significant" appear to be present across environments, in which case there is a solid starting point for looking at needed interventions. In the second case (low agreement) there is the opportunity to whether or not the ratings differ based on perspective or on environmental differences. Both are good starting points for discussion, because the possibilities--actual environmental differences that support the child (and can now be considered for transfer to the other environments) or different understandings of how typical/atypical the behaviors are--can help to bring a team together to problem solve more effectively.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the BASC--by virtue of its focus on behaviors--is a point in time assessment. Ratings are not necessarily going to be stable over time because behavior is so impacted by environmental factors and supports.

Taminy #59270 10/24/09 04:34 PM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Yeah, we've got quite a few "clinically significant" and "at-risk" things, some that agree between home and school and some that are not at quite the same level between the two. We talked to a lady at the Mental Health office, and have another appointment next week after she talks to the shrink, but we can't actually get in to see the shrink himself until February. That seems almost pointless, but it's better than nothing, I guess.

Nautigal #59305 10/25/09 06:08 AM
    Wow, Feb.?? That does seem horribly far away! Sorry about the wait, that really is an awful thing to have to wait so long on. frown

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM