Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Originally Posted by Wyldkat
    Originally Posted by LadybugMom
    I talked to a local agency that gives free screenings for SPD.

Where/how did you find this agency?

I think I did a search on sensory and our town (Des Moines)...

http://www.childserve.org/index.php/component/registrationpro/?func=details&did=8

I'm not sure if most cities have this type of non-profit or not. Childserve has a good reputation here but I always thought of them as serving kids with more severe disabilities so it was just luck that I found this.

W
    W
    Thanks! I'll check that out.

W
    W
    I found out that there is a federal program managed by the states (or something like that) that will test and provide support to kids under the age of 3 if their issues will effect schooling. After 3 it is taken over by the school system. Both are supposed to be free. Our pediatrician just wrote a referral to the CA version for Bear about the sensory issues when I told her what I had found in the tantrum diary I've been keeping. YAY!

M
    M
    my 3 1/2 year old who taught himself to read, has sensory integration disorder. he toe walks, so he falls all the time, he does not like loud noises so he tends to hide and cover his ears or lay on the floor and make carpet angels (like snow angels) if things are too loud. he tantrums to no end when he gets overwhelmed(again, usually by noise). he doesn't like the way his clothes feel, he scratches up his skin when he is overwhelmed, sometimes drawing blood. he doesn't like change. i worried about him, and had him evaluated for free by the state early childhood intervention program when he was 2. he was not delayed enough in enough categories to receive services. i waited until he was 3, and contacted the district office and our local school screened him for services by the school. they said his problems would likely not effect his schooling. well...i guess they were "somewhat" right, because right after that....he asked me to teach him to read... i told him i wouldn't teach him to read because he was only 3, so he taught himself and is now reading at the level of a late Kindergartener/early first grader and has 2 more years before he can go to kindergarten.

so now i have a 3 year old academically ready for school, but i'm not sure how those sensory issues will work out.i am going to have him screened through the gifted preschool program. but i am not sure they will want to help him either. as a mom, i know i can not just wait 2 years and then send him to school like a typical kid, because he is exceptional, in 2 ways.

I
    I
    I don't have any advice, but can tell about my experiences with my DD12.

She is extremely sensitive to loud noises, hates wearing socks, long-sleeve shirts, pants of any kind, and shoes. Now that its winter and cold out its a daily struggle getting her into weather-appropriate clothing. When she was little she would cover her ears and hide if someone was yelling (I learned quickly that yelling is a bad idea, but people we visit do yell). If loud noise is prolonged (screaming infant) she will still cover her ears and if the noise continues and she can't get away (long car ride) she'll start crying herself. I've got to say that gets frustrating for me.

There are comical moments though- I should take a picture of her vacuuming sometime smile. She lays one ear on her shoulder while covering her other ear with her free hand as she runs the vacuum.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM