Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (scottclaxton55), 88 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    avenlyspray, sobadiet, MelodyLeigh, kristen508, karam2008
    11,451 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT.

I can hardly believe it but the principal is already doing things for us. Today, his teacher let him do a timed test with multiplication, instead of addition. She also let him skip his spelling page. We have a meeting planned for next week. I'm just worried I've got so much in my head and in my notes that I may try to do too much.

I really hear you all but I'm just not ready for a full or even half day grade increase. Maybe at some point he should have this but I need to know more before that move happens. I would just like to try one class if possible and see how that goes. My son does much better with a little change at a time.

He has also just began enrichment. The students can do independent studies this year. He is excited about this. If he can get free of some of the repetitions not needed he could have more time for independent study learning. This might not be exactly what he needs but it's a start. This might be enough to give him a better attitude about school and let him hang in there until I get more information.

Last year, I watched two of his class mates excited with him about an Independents Study. This was a wonderful thing- it drew kids to him socially and academically they were excited about learning. The day he did the presentation on his independent study I felt like I picked up a different Happy kid from school.

My DS and I talked again tonight. He said the reading feels babyish. I thinking this might be a good place for him to go up a grade or two. He has read several books above level. It might be amazing for him to sit in on an discussion of a story more on his level.

I really don't know exactly what he needs. I do know he need more challenge. He is a ambitious kid who wants to learn and not just make easy A s. I want to wait until I see if we get into DYS before I do anything big so they can guide us with all their experience. I want to see what testing is needed, if any, before we put him up a grade in something and he should really go up three. Too quick of a decision would mean more changes than necessary. I also want to look at the big picture. If we send him to high school over prepared in Math, will he be able to do college Math classes? I think I read our state pays for that but I don't know any more on this. I would love for my DS and I to blend in more but for now I think we just need some tweeks to keep him going until I get the big picture.

There is also a school a little out of our area that I've heard is about 2 years ahead and doesn't teach to the test. They can take SAT testing during junior high. Money is an issue but maybe somehow they will have more finacial aid next year or I'll win the lottery. But before I make this move I would like him to make some stronger local freindships and I would like to figure out if this is really a better fit for our family.

Last edited by onthegomom; 10/20/09 08:22 PM.
    Best Wishes OTGMom-
    I think subject acceleration in reading sounds wonderful. Let's hope that they go with it.
    It's great that your school uses Independent Study- good luck!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Originally Posted by inky
    It also allows the parents more opportunities to 'blend in and be regular' instead of trying to constantly balance on the fine line between advocating for their children's needs and being perceived as pushy.
    LOL!!actually rolling on the floor laughing out loud with leaking tears. Oh Yes!

Except when trying to explain to someone who is not quite bright how your kid is in the same baseball league, is younger than that someone's son, yet is in first grade, not kindergarten... this happened to me last night. I've now realized that it's just best to keep activities based on age, like baseball, about DS's age, and school activities about grade... though I will be sure to write "6th Birthday Party" on his invitations being sent to school next week! wink

J
    J
    oh, and OTGM, GOOD LUCK! It WILL work out!

O
    OP Offline
    O
    thanks for the help. onward march!!!!

Originally Posted by Dottie
    DYS is not a magic pill that will resolve all of your unknowns, and the ideal plan varies for each child.
    I agree. I'm famous for building things up in my mind to be more fabulous that tney turn out to be. Yes apply, but the SAT scores speak volumes. Just mentioning that your child is taking the SATs opened doors and minds for me!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    I
    And for what it's worth, anyone with scores can test on the SAT in middle school (through a talent search). You don't need a specific school that participates. Also, anyone can take the SAT on their own (outside of a talent search). He could sign up this year if you are interested. The cost is less too because you don't have to pay talent search fees. We found that early SAT scores spoke louder than anything else we brought to the table (including IQ and DYS status).
    Interesting! I was wondering about that when I saw Rick M's thread about his son's NWEA scores.
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....uld_someone_help_me_inter.html#Post58935

What would be an 11th grade NWEA percentile target to look at taking the SAT, keeping in mind we've discussed the difference between the testing groups (all 11th graders vs. college bound)?

Last edited by inky; 10/21/09 08:46 AM. Reason: fleshed out the question more
    I
    I
    I'm not sure what you are asking with your 11th grade question...are you trying to possibly compare standardized testing results from 11th grade to the SAT?
    No, I'm just thinking about young kids who get high RIT scores which put them above the 50% of 11th graders taking the MAP test. Is that a good criteria for thinking about taking the SAT next? Or should it be a higher or lower percentile?

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Hurray for the helpful school staff, you are off to a good start. Keep in mind that while a DYS acceptance will expose you to more experiences and more professionals, you are already getting a lot of that right here. DYS is not a magic pill that will resolve all of your unknowns, and the ideal plan varies for each child.

Thank you again, I am very thankful to have found this site and appreciate everyone's help.

I do realized DYS is not the magic pill. It will take some trial and error to make things better for my DS. The principal was very excited about the DYS possibility. The big things I'm looking for is having the guidance with what to work on now? I have so many ideas. I need help of how to approach the school. What's the next step? Should he have a certain test to see where his ability is? Ways to enrich his life like getting to know other kids like him.

Today, they made another little change and he doesn't have to do the copying of his spelling words 3 times. DS has been very overwhelmed with all the cursive writing. I keep telling him it will get easier and try to be patient. I think learning typing would also help him because this capability would open opportunities for more advancement where that skill would be helpful.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Attention Mathie People:

My DS in 3rd Grade wrote this answer on a school paper:

What would you like to learn about this year:
    Square root decimals

Then I asked,
    Do you know decimals?
    I know some of them

Do you know square roots?
    Last year when I was trying to figure it out and I didn't, Dad told me what they were and I understood. I want to learn Square Root decimals.

What would I do with this? He is doing 3rd and 4th grade math, skipping some stuff he doesn't need. Is square root decimals for later?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by Alex011 - 05/26/24 06:03 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by figaloprepod - 05/25/24 01:24 AM