Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    My solution to finding something to do when a child pretests out is to buy supplementary curriculum stuff. I have just purchased murderous maths, so that my second and third graders will have something, still math related, to do if they test out of the main topic.

T
    T
    I have talked to the teacher 3 times about this and feel like I need to drop it with her for now because she was getting aggravated and just kept explaining the benefits of things like having empathy for the other kids.

Hmm. Maybe I'm taking this out of context, but that kind of sounds like she's afraid it will hurt other kids' feelings if your child tests out of what they are learning. I suppose she wouldn't appreciate it if you asked if she could have some empathy for YOUR child wink

Seriously though...I second the recommendation of Susan Weinbrenner's book, but maybe for starters just photocopy the section about pre-testing and compacting to focus on your immediate concern. I'm pretty sure that's the resource that advocates offering, rather than requiring a pre-test for anyone who would like the opportunity (a basic summary of the types of skills to be covered is given to students to help them decide if it's something they want to do).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM