Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    LOL! I completely understand!

Kriston
    S
    S
    I don't find there is lots of time during the week at all. We have way too many activities. DS5 is starting Oddysey of the mind in a couple weeks too. He isn't in any sports as of yet, but probably will start something in the spring if I can find time. I don't want to overwhelm him since this is his first year in a full day school. He does lots of little projects at home and turns almost everything into something academic. He never just plays with something, there is always a goal in mind. He gets to bed at 8:30pm every night. We read every night before bed together and play some sort of game together after DD goes to bed since she goes down at 7:30pm. On weekends we try to do more things, museum trips, learning computer games, science experiments, etc. He only watches a few tv shows: cyberchase, time warp trio (not too much lately) and dragonfly tv where they do experiments and stuff. We also try to go outdoors as much as possible...although it has been freezing.

Originally Posted by Kriston
    My kids are good sleepers and always have been. DS8 slept through the night (6+ hours) at 6 weeks. DS5 slept at 8 weeks. Both were BIG babies, so I think that probably has something to do with it. Both need a good amount of sleep or they are cranky and unpleasant and fall asleep early the next night.

They take after me. I can't function without my sleep. I always say that their early sleeping as infants was a survival technique so their mother would let them live...
    wink

I love my sleep to...but DS (also a huge baby that was over 10 lbs) never was a sleeper even as an infant. He slept through the night fairly quick....but never napped as all infants I have ever known did. I always felt it was strange because as an infant he was irritable and seemed bored. Once he could get around and talk his temperament was great! Now that he is in school he has been sleeping about 10.5 hours...which is awesome.

N
    N
    It seems as the novelty of school has wore off for my son. DS(5) just started Kindergarten this August. He keeps asking me: "I thought school is for learning, when will I start to learn new things?"
    DS is not accelerated, he is in regular K and is in a gifted pull out program (40 minutes) 4x a week.
    Last week we received the full report of his achievement testing (which we have done privately) and no wonder he is bored: word reading 3.8 grade equivalent, numerical operations 3.0, math reasoning 4.3, reading comprehension grade 7.0 (?) and pseudo word decoding 5.2 (the last two test norms were used for first grade).
    I brought this report to his school and asked to schedule an EP meeting based on his scores. I have a week to get ready.
    I am starting to gather all the information I need coming in to the meeting. I want to be well informed of all options available.
    But in my mind there is a Big question: Are schools (Public school in this case) even able to deal with a such a gap between age and knowledge? Is it even doable? Are you in similar situation and it is working for your child, please let me know what schools are doing in such case.
    I appreciate all the help I can get on this issue. Thanks.

N
    N
    I posted this wrong. I wanted to create a brand new post. Sorry.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM