Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    When DS6 came home with HW to "count the dots" again.
    I threw book in disgust , this piece of garbage math book.
    I then pieced it back together and told my DS "finish this book" and I will buy you a $100 lego.
    He flew threw the book , did 115 pages in 1 and 1/2 hours.
    I then put book in envelope with note telling Teacher this book is too easy for him he needs harder work.

I have been telling her this and getting nowhere so now lets see what she says after he practically finished the book meant for the year in under 2 hrs.

I'll be interested to see if that approach works! Keep us posted! What fun - a new LEGO kit! My boys are salivating already for a new kit with Christmas approaching fast.

Dazey

K
    K
    ROFL - I love it! You'll have to post back if this approach works with the teacher.

Hope your DS enjoys those new legos! :-)

T
    OP Offline
    T
    LOL Everybody, thanks for all the laughs at least.
    And yes he is in a "gifted" class! That is the funniest part of all.

My DH emailed the princpal and told her we have a mensa child who is counting dots and we need to meet with her LOL!!!

We will see what happens.

Last edited by traceyqns; 10/06/09 05:51 AM.
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    By the way Kimck, he woke up at 5am hoping he could do them b4 school!

S
    S
    LOL, we are using everyday math as well with DS5. Thankfully the teacher just sends worksheets home instead of a whole book or else I would be quite overhwhelmed with the simplicity. She says that I can differentiate and make it more challenging...but I am hoping that they will do that as I have sent them math workbooks and printouts, etc. I just don't have the creativity to make an assignment 3-4 grade levels higher. They are trying, but when I see papers that come home that say "write the number that comes next: 10, 17, 13" That is a little much for me. We also had ones where we cut out numbers that we see in magazines and glue them to the paper. Last night he wrote his answers in roman numerals to make it a little more interesting. She did decide to give him his own spelling words now, which is great. We went from sat to furniture..so that is an improvement. Baby steps.

C
    C
    Oh my gosh....Too funny!!! I just had a little breakdown last night when my 4th grader had to do "partial sums adding" for his homework. He just finished 30 minutes of algebra in Stanford's EPGY program and then had to resort to doing "everyday math" adding....His teacher freaks if every little step isn't written down....It took the kid over an hour just to finish what would normally take him 5 minutes because he just didn't want to do it, and I'm yelling at him saying "Just do it!!!" "Why? Because you just have to!!!" Ugh.... Needless to say, it wasn't a very fun night at our house last night haha....

When my DS started school, he knew how to multiply. After learning to multiply the "everyday msth" way he no longer could.
    They teach a thing called latticing and partial products. It is quite frankly RETARDED!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    W
    W
    I have the same issue with Wolf's math book. Since I get to pick and choose out of it we get to skip all the make it harder than it has to be junk. I'm not surprised a lot of kids don't like math if this is how it is taught!!!

C
    C
    I also lost it on Everyday Math last week! It's actually Houghton Mifflin but they're using much the same approach. DS who is in 1st grade and should be doing 3rd grade math, was doing "regroup the tens" You have 56. How else can you regroup the tens? You're supposed to write 4 tens and 16 ones or 3 tens and 26 ones. He just kept saying "WHY? WHY 26 ones? That makes no sense!"

Then "Draw a picture to describe how you solved the problem."

Ugh...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM