Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 337 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    MamaTo2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hello,

I have a gifted 5yo and a 1yo who is tracking at about the same pace for age. DD5 is homeschooled because our school system is absolutely against any type of accomodations except their "gifted program", which has a poor reputation.

I have never had her tested, and have no idea what level of giftedness she would be considered. As a toddler, she did some very advanced "academic" type things, but it was her reasoning abilities that made me suspect she was "different".

Just to give a brief example, she used to do pranks and try to crack jokes at 18 mos. My dh sometimes refers to me as "M" (for Mama). At 18 mos, dd picked up on it and started calling, "Hey, M!" When I didn't come quickly, she'd say, "Hey, N-O-P!" "Hey, Q-R-S!" I thought it was just strange that an 18mo was trying to crack jokes all the time, and playing pranks on me all day while dh was at work.

Well anyway, fast forward to now and she is 5yo. We are homeschooling her, and she is working comfortably in 4th-6th grade materials. She is using Singapore Math with Challenging Word Problems and Intensive Practice, and she's also doing EPGY. Since she just went through the level4 Singapore in a week, I ordered a higher level math book from a different math program.

The other subjects vary from 4th to 6th, with grammar and science being at the high end.

The main reason I came here is to look for advice from people dealing with a child learning at a similar pace whether at home or at a traditional school.

At the moment, most of my questions pertain to curricula for her age/ability level, so I'm looking over the forum to detrmine where to post such questions.

See you around the board,
    MamaTo2

M
    M
    From one "newbie" to another - Hi!

Love the jokes! Dd has always been into puns and making up jokes. She much prefers her own to any she reads - and I do too!

~ Mingo and 9yo dd
    A
    A
    Welcome! My DD is 2.5 and is also a huge prankster and loves to crack jokes....she has always it seems had a very adult sense of humor. I just joined this board recently but love it. It is so niceto have a place to come and talk and not feel judged and to learn more about resources for DD.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Hello and welcome! This board is an excellent source of knowledge and support - I don't know what I would do without it! smile

Welcome!

I recall my middle son telling jokes at a very young age!

Dazey

J
    J
    Welcome!

M
    MamaTo2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you all. It's a relief to have somewhere to discuss these things.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent