Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (scottclaxton55), 88 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    avenlyspray, sobadiet, MelodyLeigh, kristen508, karam2008
    11,451 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    K
    I am encouraged to hear that other people fight this battle besides us. Both our kids fight any kind of medicine tooth and nail. Even the "good" tasting stuff. I don't have any great advice. We've used 2 techniques - telling them in a very serious voice that we may be in the ER if they don't take it and bribing (after you take this medicine you can have or do X). My DS8 literally will throw up antibiotics. Not pretty.

Good luck - here's to a fast round of antibiotics. I always feel like celebrating when we get done with a round. It's non-stop stress the entire time they're taking some.

Edited to say - sorry, I didn't know your child was so young. I did have to use the pin down method in a number of circumstances when we had to get it done NOW. Or giving them a little treat to have with the medicine. Ugh - so sorry you're fighting this battle. That's the worst!

Last edited by kimck; 09/21/09 10:45 AM.
    Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by kimck
    My DS8 literally will throw up antibiotics. Not pretty.

Mr W will deliberately spit it into my face.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Austin
    He has my taste buds.

We tried masking the stuff and he figures it out. The second time it won't work. For example, he loves applesauce - now he won't touch it.

Adding the flavor in to the meds did not help.

Did you try something creamy/fatty? I'm thinking that applesauce is watery and the flavor of the meds won't get "lost" in it. Alternatively, if the antibiotic molecules get coated by the fats in ice cream or whatever, he might not taste them as much. Plus, his tongue will lose sensitivity, as someone else pointed out.

I'm speculating here (don't know which antibiotic you're using and if it could be coated by fats), but it might be worth a go if you haven't tried it already. Just make sure you aren't supposed to take the medication on an empty stomach.

Val

Last edited by Val; 09/21/09 02:39 PM. Reason: clarity
    C
    C

Oh yeah, been there done that, with an evil look in his eye too I'll bet!

Every time someone else gets sick, I am so grateful that other than the first two years of misery, my kid is relatively healthy! This is the kid who refused motrin after breaking his foot because it tastes bad. (and when we discovered the skittles trick!) He'd rather writhe in pain than take a liquid. I seriously understand!

N
    N
    I hear you. We went through this recently, as DD had a fever of roughly 104 and refused to take medicine. Honestly, I just waited until she agreed a few hours later. It was hard--really hard--to feel how hot she was and see how much discomfort she was in, but there's no way to trick her or force her at this age (3 1/2). I'm just glad it wasn't a life-threatening situation. In the past, when her fever was higher (106+) and she was younger, and she couldn't keep anything down, we used a suppository. frown

W
    W
    We do the pin down and force method. I can do it all by myself now. Yay practice! Sigh... After one or two doses administered that way with the explanation if you won't take it nicely and get a treat this is the other option even my ultra stubborn Bear has been known to relent...

You could also tell him that antibiotics also come in shot form...

Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Val
    Did you try something creamy/fatty? I'm thinking that applesauce is watery and the flavor of the meds won't get "lost" in it.
    Val

I mixed it in with yogurt!! The little bugger figured it out too late and ate it all.

Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by CAMom

Oh yeah, been there done that, with an evil look in his eye too I'll bet!

Every time someone else gets sick, I am so grateful that other than the first two years of misery, my kid is relatively healthy! This is the kid who refused motrin after breaking his foot because it tastes bad. (and when we discovered the skittles trick!) He'd rather writhe in pain than take a liquid. I seriously understand!

Ok. What is the skittles trick? (The suppository comment below has me really curious.)

And, yes, I saw Lucifer in his eyes!!

E
    E
    Congrats on the yogurt!

Good luck on the next round, since he is now wise to the 'gurt!

N
    N
    I, too, am so glad it's not just me--although I'm sure that doesn't help you one bit! smile

I can finally get DS7 to take nasty medicine (and no matter how good they claim it tastes, that sulfa mix stuff he always seems to get is just nasty) by holding his nose for him and having some tea handy to wash the taste out fast. He still refuses to swallow pills. I'm heartened by the fact that so many things are starting to come out in "strips" now, that don't taste bad and dissolve on the tongue.

DD3 actually doesn't mind it as much as he does, and in fact even hounds me with "medicine? medicine?" when it's not even time yet!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by Alex011 - 05/26/24 06:03 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by figaloprepod - 05/25/24 01:24 AM