Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by dr.ruf
    It is complex. What really matters is whether or not the person who evaluated your child can help you to understand and offer appropriate support for him or her. Ultimately, scores are not the issue. They are merely samples - samplings - of how your child reasons and thinks. The goal, after all, is to do what we can to facilitate the child's growing into the fulfilled, independent, emotionally sound person he or she was designed to be. When my children were younger, I focused on scores, too. It is natural, I think, to do so. But eventually, as they grew and matured and did what they wanted to do, I finally learned what it a joy it is to simply watch what they do, who they are, and where they are going still. Getting the scores right ended up not to make much difference at all.

Dr. Ruf, thank you so much for that passage. You really put things into perspective for me and that helps me to just relax and enjoy our fabulous children.

Yes, great points, thanks again!! It *is* complex!! smile

Isa Offline
    I am going to be beta testing a new online "screening" for intellectual levels soon and people on this list may enjoy doing it to help us out and get free information of this type.

Deborah Ruf

Dear Dr. Ruf,

will be English language required? I do speak English but DD speaks very little. If it is a non-verbal test I may sign up smile

I
    I
    Thank you for sharing your time and knowledge with us Dr. Ruf. I wish I'd understood the difference between the SBLM scores and WISC IV before DD was tested. I couldn't figure out why she scored "so low" compared to my SBLM number. I'm going to add this to our quotations thread because it was beautiful and I want to revisit it from time to time.
    Originally Posted by Dr. Ruf
    The goal, after all, is to do what we can to facilitate the child's growing into the fulfilled, independent, emotionally sound person he or she was designed to be. When my children were younger, I focused on scores, too. It is natural, I think, to do so. But eventually, as they grew and matured and did what they wanted to do, I finally learned what it a joy it is to simply watch what they do, who they are, and where they are going still.

H
    H
    because the natural immaturities and physical realities make it incredibly problematic to move little kids up too fast to work with more physically mature children. This is one of the reasons Leta Hollingworth talked about how the worst times for PG kids are the school years leading up to age ten. After age ten, the physical issues of handwriting, for example, are no longer a big deal or something that holds the child back.

Regards,
    Deborah

Thank you so much for posting this Dr. Ruf. I have pounded my head against a wall too many times trying to figure out how to get his intellectual needs met when my DS7 hates to write.

Thank you so much for taking time to "visit" us here. Come back as often as you can, specifically in a few months (or next) when it is too cold to do anything else. laugh

K
    K
    Holy Cow.... I'd take a late night of postings with Dr. Ruff over a night out with (insert star of choice). Losing our Minds brought us the bit of sanity we needed to find a voice for advocacy. That "it" wasn't just in our heads. What a treat. God bless you for the work, the research, you've done to advance this area.

A
    A
    This is a link that equates scores from the different tests. Hope this helps.

http://www.hoagiesgifted.com/highly_profoundly.htm

O
    O
    I am going to be beta testing a new online "screening" for intellectual levels soon and people on this list may enjoy doing it to help us out and get free information of this type.

Someone please become our (my) liaison through my real email address because I cannot keep jumping in here (I have no self-control when it comes to this stuff; I love it!) Contact me through my assistants at dr.ruf@educationaloptions.com if you want to participate in the Levels online beta test.

It's been a pleasure.

Deborah Ruf

Has anyone heard more about the Levels online beta test? Did I miss out?

I volunteered, but I haven't heard anything yet. Maybe it's just not ready?

I think she is still working on it. I suspect she will find many a volunteer from this board to test it. PM her if you are interested.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM