Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    #544 10/07/06 02:36 PM
    G
    G
    Ellen, has this year's teacher said anything about Sophie?

And has Sophie said expressed any dissatisfaction with school (the academic aspects), such as saying it's too easy/slow, etc.?

Having just taken our daughter (age 5, 1st grade) out of one elementary school only 3 weeks into the year, and moved her to a different elementary school within the same district, I've come to one conclusion: if we're going to keep her in public school, we are going to have to hand-pick a teacher every year who is willing to do *something* different for her, and make advance arrangements directly with that teacher.

This seems to be the only way to get anything different for our daughter. Last year we talked to the district about testing her--they refused, because she wasn't "struggling." So, we had our own testing done. I then spent countless hours over the past year discussing DD with the principal of the first elementary school, where my older two children attended, and thought we had a wonderful placement for her this year in what was supposedly a "multi-age" classroom. Principal seemed to understand, be on our side, etc. But when school started and we had a meeting with DD's teachers about doing a single subject acceleration, they were absolutely unwilling to do anything different with DD in the classroom, or to acknowledge that she needed anything different--this is even with professional test results in front of them. And the principal who I thought was supportive sat there and said nothing. I've also talked to the district's curriculum director and the ISD's "advanced and accelerated" coordinator, and the best they could do was offer suggestions on "enrichment" to do at home.

Luckily I found a teacher at another elem. school in the district who said she believed in differentiated curriculum and would let DD do some accelerated and independent work in the classroom. I talked to the techer first, then talked to the principal who, while not a big help in terms of ideas/options for supporting DD, was happy to have another warm body in the school to bring up his enrollment numbers. And he will not interfere with what this teacher will do for DD.

It's not the *ideal* situation for DD. I know this school and this district will never do a grade skip and probably will never let DD do subject acceleration in another teacher's room at a higher grade level. I know this teacher doesn't really truly "get it" and that DD will have to sit through some boring material she's already mastered. In most subjects she still will have to do the same curriculum as the rest of her class, even though she could be working ahead in every subject. I know that a lot of her potential will not be realized, and that saddens me.

HOWEVER--it is a better situation than what we had! And DD seems much happier, so I am grateful for anything positive. In Reading, at least, she is able to do accelerated and independent work. The teacher started her out at a Grade 4 level in Reading homework and said she won't have to do "reading group" with the rest of the class. I am hopeful that as the year goes on, this teacher will be willing to make some other accommodations for DD.

As for next year, I have no idea if we'll be able to find a second grade teacher who will work with us in the same way. Finding a good teacher might mean changing schools again. There are four elementary schools within our district, and I will be talking to 2nd grade teachers at every one if I have to! Our back-up plan is to move her back to the private school where she attended Kindergarten. I know they would be willing to let her work ahead there, because they already have kids who are doing subject acceleration (in another teacher's room with the older class).

Sorry I rambled on and on. My point was/is, maybe you should schedule a meeting with Sophie's teacher and tell her your concerns. Do you think she would be receptive to doing anything different for Sophie? I think that's your best place to start, even before testing.

#546 10/07/06 11:35 PM
    Thanks for the compliment, Dottie! So tell us a bit about your oldest daughter..... (wink)

Seriously, I don't know my own IQ, and have been told that I'm "nicely gifted but nothing amazing" ((Hi Mom!)) I try to use this forum to develop a clearer vision of myself as a gifted person as well as of my son. I get the same intensity jags as other gifted people, the same need for putting my gift into service, the same need for recognition for a job well done, the same somewhat scary feeling of having lots of information at my mental and spiritual fingertips and trying to harness it into my physical fingertips. For me, the very act of harnessing my mind and spitting out the advice, is a door into my son's world. So I try here to throw off the filters of the world I was forced to contend with as a child, and use self-designed filters in the service of getting the better world, that I can almost taste, for all of us.

...and yeah, I do scare myself in the process, but I love listening to you all, and thinking about you and your families. I try to cut gifted adults some slack, knowing so well what most of us had to contend with, and I hope you all are cutting me that slack to - LOL - I sure need it sometimes! smile

Love and More Love - Really Big!
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    #547 10/08/06 08:42 AM
    E
    Ellenc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Trinity, I'm going to look into the talent searches and the above level tests for Sophie.

You are right: I am feeling kind of unformed as to what I want for her. I'm leaning towards supplementing at home and trying to find a 'peer' group for her. There is a school for the gifted (Sage school) that's an hour from where we live. I'm going to look into that, even if it's just to meet others like her.

I did find SENG and Hoagies.
    And yes, you sound incredibly warm and loving, BTW!

Galaxy Girl, No, this year's teacher has yet to comment on Sophie other than to tell me that she is very shy. Actually, her teacher is a former Title one teacher (a teacher who works with academically challenged students) from first grade. They moved her up to third grade in an integrated classroom. This is her first time in 3rd grade. There are lots of kids in her class who need special help just to keep up so I think that the teacher is just glad that she doesn't need to do more for Sophie. I'm hoping that this is not the case but it appears to be and, in a class with 22 students, a big chunk of which have problems even keeping up, she's probably doing all she can. But I plan on having a meeting with her soon to discuss my concerns. I think that she will be somewhat receptive to my concerns simply because she seems to be a caring individual. I hoping this is not too naive of a view. We'll see.

Seems like you've done a lot for your DD and that is great. You seem to really be doing all that you can for her.

Dottie, I'd love to attend a Parent Advocation class too!

Thanks,
    -Ellen

#548 10/08/06 11:05 AM
    Ellen,
    I have found that teachers that choose to work at Title One schools are generally very sensitive to kids with special needs. My daughter goes to a Title One school (the only one in our district). The teachers I have met there truly have a special calling. I have talked with other parents of gifted kids in our district about their schools. From what I can tell the teachers at my daughter's school are much more open to differentiation.

If you think the teacher is overloaded, you might be able to think of some ways for her to differentiate the curriculum that are easy to implement. If your daughter can work independently, the teacher might be open to her doing some independent computer work or projects. I recommend having some suggestions ready since you know your daughter better than anyone else.

Summer

#549 10/08/06 01:05 PM
    Hi Ellen,
    I looked at Sage School's website Gifted information and am very impressed - http://www.sageschool.org/gifted.shtml It sounds to me like they "get" gifted kids. I'll bet they would be a good resource for you.

I think that looking for a peer group and talent search, and "afterschooling" are good places to start. LOL - if you find a peer group for dd, you will probably also find a support group for you in their parents! What do you think of the idea of DD taking the Explore? It must seem so amazing, but honestly, from her developmental milestones that sounds right to me.

As far as supplimenting at home, I'm re-labling it afterschooling because 1) that gives you acess to your local homeschooling community and 2) that gives the activity you do with your daughter the respect it deserves and 3)because if you daughter responds well to you as learning partner, then it's likely that your work together will be the main course, and the 9-3 will be the suppliment.

So, what does she want to learn? What do you feel comfortable teaching? How does she like to learn? In what form does she like to express what she's learned? Does she have a special interest that can be harnessed towards a learning goal? How does she respond when facing a academic challenge - here's a warning - if she has never faced an academic challenge before, and you introduce one, be prepared for some feelings to bubble up to the surface. You may see more intensity than you are used to seeing.

The wonderful thing about afterschooling is that you can truly follow the child's lead. Keep your eyes open for places where she is so used to "instant learning" that she might give up well before she has challenged herself. That's where the supported push comes in. Most of all, have fun! Learning together is a fine way to pass the time.

There are so many books availible to Parents of Gifted Children. Are you reading one now? Do you have a next on in mind?

Here's a link to "Mrs. Hoagies" Amazon list. Friends, are there any books you would add to Gifted 101?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/li...detail_fullview_cf_1/102-2521882-7546561

#550 10/08/06 01:34 PM
    Ellen -
    I just remembered that you are near one of my favorite professionals - Aimee Yermish
    da Vinci Learning Center
    aimee@davincilearning.org
    978-461-4815
    If you want F2F, professional advice, she is very wise.
    If you are more of a do-it-yourselfer, send us more questions smile !
    Me Again

#551 10/08/06 10:43 PM
    M
    M
    I can't add much to what has been said already - just my personal opinion - pursue individual testing if you want really meaningful results.

Mary

Mary
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM