Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    After seeing DD8's math homework this week, I emailed her teacher asking what ideas she had to keep DD excited about math this year. I said that DD was already beginning to get the attitude of "math is too easy, it's boring, so I'd rather whine about it for an hour than spend the 2 minutes it takes to do my homework" that she had last year that made our afternoons miserable and I hoped we could work together to stop it before it started. I asked what options the curriculum had for differentiation and/or enrichment and said I'd be interested to see what was available. That was Tuesday evening, and I haven't received a response yet.

I also decided to take matters into my own hands a little and spice up DD's homework each evening. Last night's homework was identifying place values to the thousands so I added a few decimal points and changed things to thousandths, hundredths, and tenths. DD enjoyed it and was proud of what she did until she turned it in today.

Turns out, to further reinforce the concepts reviewed in homework (or to save herself work), the teacher has students correct each others' papers in class. DD had to correct her own paper because I had made it too hard for the other kids. Personally, I don't have a problem with this, because "correcting" her already correct homework herself saves her from even more review. But she felt left out, and had the impression that her teacher disapproved of what we'd done.

So what do I do next? I wasn't going to pepper her teacher with emails, since it is only the 2nd week of school and I know she's still assessing where students are. I don't want to put her on the defensive, but is it unreasonable to expect a response to my first email within a couple of days? Have I already alienated her by tinkering with the sacred homework?

Hmmm... well, I have goofed and once I really ticked DD's teacher off by correcting bad grammar in the textbook... It wasn't the end of the world. I talked to her in person and made sure she understood that my complaint was not with her personally, but with the curriculum materials selected by the district (which she was required to use.)

Anyway, we are on friendly terms now...so don't lose hope smile If possible, try to have a face-to-face meeting instead of email. Then the friendly tone of your request and your desire to have a good relationship with the teacher will come through! I think that was my real mistake in that incident...I had sent a note to school with DD which was misinterpreted by the teacher.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    You mean I shouldn't have corrected the typos in her welcome letter to parents?

Kidding! Though I admit I wanted to, badly (fourth should never be confused with forth).

S
    S-T Offline
    S
    I agree that it is time for the face-to-face meeting.

In fact, I have just emailed DS9''s teacher to request for some time to discuss about what "I" and the school can possibly do for DS. (I stated like "15 minutes" so that she doesn't feel the pressure that it is going to be a lengthy discussion of Ds's histories since she would have already read them in the school records). I figured that it has been 2 weeks and parent conference is in Oct! (so fast!) Something should be done soon. And if nothing can be done, I would want to know early too.

It's hard to try to be tactful, get your point across and get what u want. Sigh...

All the best!

Originally Posted by Trillium
    You mean I shouldn't have corrected the typos in her welcome letter to parents?

Kidding! Though I admit I wanted to, badly (fourth should never be confused with forth).

Well, I'm just socially clueless enough to have done something like that...I was just trying to be helpful to the teacher whistle

I had to learn that lesson the hard way...

Last edited by Cathy A; 09/10/09 06:38 PM. Reason: for clarity
    H
    H
    Trillium I did the same thing for DS then 6 even turning plus signs into multiplication signs. The teacher was NOT happy and even pointed out that this was the very thing she was talking about in regards to him not following directions. Yep that's right he was in trouble for enhancing his worksheets when he needed to just follow directions. So ((hugs)) to you and your endevour.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Oh, I didn't mean it that way--I'm just pointing out that I'm already going into this year with a bad attitude and I'm not impressed with the quality of her teacher so far.

I did confirm with my DD that her teacher specifically told her not to change her homework. Grr.

Originally Posted by Trillium
    Oh, I didn't mean it that way--

No worries! smile I really am a bit clueless (as in 'Aspergery'.) Usually my sincerity is what saves me... I just wanted you to know that all is not lost with this teacher. And who knows, maybe she'll come through for your DD despite the typos.

L
    L
    Hugs. We're in a similar boat. DD8 started math acceleration last week. We had no idea of the routine since we missed the meet the teacher for 4th grade. She absolutely froze on a pre-test (for various reasons-long story) and attempted none of the questions. On Tues when I finally talk to the teacher thinking I will be having a discussion about test anxiety, I hear but they only learn place value to the hundreds in 2nd grade. We do millions, please. Now if you told me she can't spell millions I would agree. She also keeps telling me about the plan for "THEM" based on a first pre-test and that they are supposed to learn to take tests in 3rd grade. I'm sure my manner on the phone irritated her because when I asked who "THEM" was I got told she could not discuss other children. So I pointed out that she had said "THEM". I later found out that "THEM" was the two 3rd grade accelerated students (we are friends with the other girl). Everyone at school seemed in favor of the acceleration (and both girls were thoroughly tested), but we hadn't met the 4th grade teacher. I hope a face to face helps.

Anyways, I never thought I would be the parent having to have talks at school about why after a child was so stressed about a test they would come back and two days in a row give her more tests...............DD8 doesn't like surprises. Now she assumes she could get a test at anytime. She at least seems to love this teacher.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Well, I got a response from DD's teacher today. Only one typo--"your" instead of "you're" and some questionable grammar, but I'm not going to nitpick. ;-)

She's offering to give DD more challenging classroom work, and extra homework, but only after she's completed the regular assignments. Somehow, I don't think DD's going to be wild about this solution, but we'll see how it goes.

I'm going to try to wait until after conferences (first week of Nov.) to broach the idea of testing out of units and/or moving up a grade in math, since I think she'll have a better sense of DD's level by then. Plus, I think DD will have completed the EPGY 3rd grade math program by then anyway.

She also said she wants to recruit a parent volunteer to run a special advanced math program in her class for kids who are interested, so hopefully I can help her out there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM