Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Have you spoken with your school's gifted teacher? If not, I would start with her, and get her advice on how to explain the difference between your gifted child and those 8th graders in the study presented by your principal. As for Hoagies, I would recommend searching through it yourself to handpick the most relevant articles related to your child's mathematical talents, rather than just sending a link to Hoagies in general. You could offer books, but teachers and principals are busy, so if you do, I would recommend marking a particular section you want them to read.

And maybe or maybe not helpful, but Tamara Fisher has some good articles on how to respond when you hear some common myths about gifted kids, here:

http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/un...rning_difference_3.html?qs=tamara+fisher

http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/un...kid_not_next_years.html?qs=tamara+fisher

A new blog i found:
    http://www.byrdseed.com/differentiating-math-lessons-for-gifted-students

Last edited by st pauli girl; 09/05/09 12:04 PM.
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    thank you I will look at that.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Well I went back to our IEP and looked again. He was never suppose to do 5th Grade Math on the IEP. Some how I got this in my head. The book currently being used is Saxon54 and it's a 4th Grade book. The IEP never stated the actual grade. So I feel a little embarrassed but not too bad.

I did receive a note from the gifted teacher and she will skip some info in the 4th grade book as it is more repetition than he needs. She thinks he will finish this book this year. If there is time he will go on to the next book. I do feel like this is not a perfect situation but it's a good start. Some of this is about him proving what he can do to the school and how it will effect him. They need baby steps.

I'm hoping we will get in DYS so they can help. Last year, I proved he really needed more challenge and is very self motivated. I pushe dfor testing and they did it for me. This year my goal is figuring out how to let a teacher/school be comfortable with him skipping or acceleration when the option is available. The teacher has already let him go ahead, along with another child on some reading materials and then he got out his extra Math workbook he loves. I feel like she is looking for ways to challenge him. I wish we could look at each year ahead and know what he needs to learn or doesn't. I wish I could say to them concrete things like he only needs 2 repetitions while most students need 7. But how can anyone really know this? I have a lot to learn with out enough time. I'm thinking maybe I should take a speed reading course.

I'm also thinking the principal wants to help and understand. She said she will be researching this that is much better than saying we just can't deal with this. After having more time to think this all over I think there is hope to make things better for my DS9.

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/08/09 06:34 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM