Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #53999 08/30/09 08:58 PM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    when my brother inlaw was in school he was advance and he skipped a grade. He was still very bored in school so they had him help the janitor. He thought that was fun. (He is 50= now)

I told this to the school psy. that did my gifted son's testing. She laughed and said I think we will do better than that.

I wonder if anybody has a story....

B
    B
    My little brother actually got to travel with the principal. We had K-2 in one school and 3-8 in another about a mile away. My brother would get in the car with the principal and drive to the little school and tutor kids in math. That was fun. Times have changed.

Benny
    N
    N
    I have a janitor story or two! My first day of school, I was so afraid that the other kids wouldn't like me because I skipped kindergarten and they already knew each other from there, and when I got to school I sat on the steps outside and wouldn't go in. The janitor sat down with me and asked what was wrong and talked me into going inside and introduced me to the girl who is still my best friend, 35 years later!

That janitor's son took over from him a couple years later, and the son was a great resource for a couple of kids who were engineering whizzes and (in retrospect, I think) were probably bored stiff with the regular classwork. I never thought of those two as being at the top of the class, but they probably would have been if they'd had the right classes!

Tell the school not to knock the whole janitorial approach, huh? smile

O
    OP Offline
    O
    thanks for the story. There is wealth in unexpected place....

My younger brother's 1st grade teacher noticed how bright he was. She gave him a math book and asked him to work on it at his own pace figuring out he would stop when he got stuck on a new concept. He brought the book back next Monday morning as he worked through it all weekend and the teacher's jaw dropped when he asked for another book! After 5 weeks in 1st grade, he was quickly skipped to 2nd.

Jen

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM