Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    C
    C
    One month in and we're still in review mode. I don't think it's getting any better anytime soon.

I talked to DS's teacher again and now have permission to substitute his homework up to something more challenging. But she is unable to do more in class. Yes. Unable. She said she doesn't feel like she has the skills to teach 3rd grade math to my 1st grader.

So he'll go ahead and do his 1st grade "count the dots" math at school 4x a week, work on the computer in leveled math 1x a week and I'll cover the rest at home. He's happy with that for now.

But it leaves me with some serious concerns about the state of teacher education. We know that they rarely cover gifted ed. But I'm pretty sure she should still be able to do elementary school math!

Last edited by CAMom; 09/09/09 07:01 AM. Reason: spelling
    Yeah, thanks Dazed. We're encouraged for the moment. I hope the trend continues. Maybe we'll have a "good teacher year" which can go a looooon way.

CAMom, last year we did homework substitution too. Although I think DW just decided to do it :-O and the teacher went along. It helped to a degree.

JB

Both the 6th grade and 2nd grade homeworks are unbelivable. If 2nd grader has to practice 2-2 then he shouldn't be in 2nd grade in the first place. The same goes about the 6th graders.

Originally Posted by CAMom
    But she is unable to do more in class. Yes. Unable. She said she doesn't feel like she has the skills to teach 3rd grade math to my 1st grader.

This is downright scary. Not able to teach 3rd grade math? eek

LMom
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    But she is unable to do more in class. Yes. Unable. She said she doesn't feel like she has the skills to teach 3rd grade math to my 1st grader.

But it leaves me with some serious concerns about the state of teacher education...But I'm pretty sure she should still be able to do elementary school math!

Oh, my stars and garters. That is deeply, deeply scary.

Originally Posted by JBDad
    CAMom, last year we did homework substitution too. Although I think DW just decided to do it :-O and the teacher went along. It helped to a degree.

JB

I did/do that with my kids, especially with DS9 for second grade math. I remember buying a bunch of math workborks to use with him (grades 2-6). I taught him how to regroup in addition in subtraction and had him do a few problems. The next time I picked up the book, I didn't see anything else new or noteworthy and we skipped straight to third grade math.

What is it about second grade math, I wonder, that it offers so little new material? Even DS7, who isn't really mathy, is fed up with it already.

Val

It looks like from what I can tell that second grade is more of first grade but they do get to larger numbers.

JB

C
    C
    JBDad- good for DW for being brave! So far we like this teacher so I'm trying not to make her mad. She immediately accommodated DS in reading and spelling without a word. But she seems defensive about math so we're easing her into our way!

Val- I did the same thing- I had a 2nd grade math book and taught addition and subtraction with regrouping last night. He's going to practice that a few times. The rest of the book he can do already so we're going to practice a few things... translation "Show the teacher he already knows the 2nd grade standards too before report cards". I also have a Singapore Math book that covers some different topics that will be fun.

2nd grade math seems to be a rehash of old topics- time to the 15 min instead of 30, money to the $5 instead of $1.

I'm not going to push my luck yet but I'm wondering if "Played ClueFinders 4th grade" counts as math homework :-)

S
    S
    yikes. This is quite frightening. DS5 is starting first grade today. Lately he has been plotting x and y axis, doing exponents, started adding binary numbers, etc. He is easily comfortable with probably up to 10 digit adding/subtracting. He probably could use a little practice in long division and some triple digit multiplication...but he can still do it. His school this year only goes up to 2nd grade. I am worried then will stick him in the 2nd grade math for a "challenge" I would much rather them just give him some independent stuff for math, and read independently for reading and have him answer questions or something. We will see.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Well, the craziness continues, especially without appropriate grouping. DS is currently placed in one wrong section (scheduling glitch that we'll simply have to correct!), and was shocked that half of the kids didn't even know their address. This is in 7th grade, shocked .

LOL, I asked DS5 the other day what his address was just to see if he knew it since we haven't gone over it really. He said "you mean my email address?" I said "no, your physical address like what street and town" Then he told me...including zip code. Then for fun we went through everyone elses address and phone number and cell phone numbers that he knows...and then license plates that he apparently knows. Holy cow. I have to say that I really feel for some parents that have to really work on those things. I know I have my own work cut out for me...but it is quite challenging for some to get that concept. But by 7th grade?? come on now.

Wow, shellymos, I'm impressed with your DS's memory! I'm hoping that by 7th grade (OK, I hope sooner than that!), my DS5 will show some interest in remembering his birthday and our address. He really just doesn't care.

S
    S
    I think that the whole presents thing would be a good incentive to remember birthdays. LOL. DS has always been like that with his memory. It's amazing. He remembers the date that we went on vacation last year, etc. It's his thing. I on the other hand can watch a movie and probably not remember it a week later. I constantly read books and can't remember the name of them. It's amazing on a different level. grin

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM