Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    That's good to hear!

JB

T
    T
    Well, here's the first homework assignment for 3rd grade math--they had to fill in number grids. Again. Love these spiraling curriculums...not!

I'm going to email the teacher and ask if my DD can pre-test out of lessons and/or units, but I'm not holding my breath.

To empathize, my DD 10, who they skipped to 6th grade, came home with her first set of math worksheets for 6th grade standard math:

72 + 13

I kid you not. ADDING WHOLE NUMBERS. I know she's not a math whiz, but seriously? Tomorrow I fear the lesson may be "welcome to even and odd numbers!"

;-)

B
    BKD Offline
    B
    72 + 13
    Wow. In the worst possible way.

T
    T
    I peeked ahead to tomorrow's 3rd grade math homework assignment--identifying place value up to the thousands and adding/subtracting single digit numbers (4+5=?).

Do most kids really need this much review at the beginning of the year?

I think most teachers are still trying to figure out the levels in their classes.

William's 3rd grade gifted math is doing 4 digit addition and subtraction and these kind of math machine things I can only describe as figuring out what number goes in to get the number that comes out. The teacher also said they are focusing heavily on algebra and geometry in the district this year.

Perhaps why we now have THREE MAPs tests instead of two.

Standard math is doing Otter Creek, which seems to focus on how fast you can do 40 one digit addition problems in a minute.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by marieg
    William's 3rd grade gifted math is doing 4 digit addition and subtraction
    Ug. Just sent DS5 off for his first day of what would be 1st grade in the US, and he is not going to be happy if he gets asked to do whole number addition and subtraction. 3rd grade gifted maths is doing this? Grr.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Originally Posted by marieg
    William's 3rd grade gifted math is doing 4 digit addition and subtraction
    Ug. Just sent DS5 off for his first day of what would be 1st grade in the US, and he is not going to be happy if he gets asked to do whole number addition and subtraction. 3rd grade gifted maths is doing this? Grr.

They are word problems that end up involving 4 digit addition and subtraction. I thought they seemed reasonable. They've only been in school about a week. They also do Dynamath daily which is 5th grade work I'm told.

I was going to post this in a new thread, but it relates...

Yeah, this is review week here for our DS in second (the homework was 1 + 0 = ?, 1 - 1 = ?, 2 + 0 = ? , 2 - 2 = ?, ...) Ugh.

However, this year is getting off to a better start. DS went to the teacher and told her that he wanted to do long division. She gave him a hand written sheet with a four digit number divided by a one digit number. He did it, showed his work, and then did the multiplication to check his answer. Said it was "too easy."

This is a big step for us: #1 DS is feeling more comfortable expressing his himself and #2 the teacher responded immediately. We were encouraged to see that.

JB

WOW JBDad!!! Good for that teacher and GREAT for DS! Way to take control!

You know, from talking to other parents and teachers, yes many kids do need the review at the beginning of the year.

Plus, the teachers take a big step backwards the first month while assessing the kids etc.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM