Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #5397 12/06/07 04:01 PM
    Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Now I've got my fingers crossed!

DS was just below the WPPSI FSIQ cut-off, but he ceilinged three subtests and has qualifying achievement scores, so I'm hopeful. However, as per Kriston's thread, my ds really did "bomb" a subtest (a 10 on coding) ... we shall see.

Lots of drama around here lately! eek

Mia
    True! Very dramatic kids, I guess. smile

Kriston
    My DS got a 9 on the coding. Apparently that the most variable test for kids like ours.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    True! Very dramatic kids, I guess. smile

Very true! My poor kid ... so much drama. Not only with this, but he's broken his collarbone, gotten eight stiches around his eye, and broken his elbow (with surgery) -- all separate incidents, all in the past 14 months. When people ask how he's doing, I now just say he's fine! crazy

I've also heard that coding is typically the "low" score for these kids, so I'm still hopeful. Kind of. None of his WPPSI scores meet their minimum, though, so I wouldn't be particularly surprised if he doesn't make it in ... Like I say, I'm hoping his unexpectedly high WIAT scores pull it off.

Mia
    A side note:

I think it's kind of a weird experience for us parents of HG+ kids to think that our kids--the smartest in their classes, in their schools!--might not quite make the cut-off for something that's academically oriented. I know I'm feeling sort of...flustered...about it...or something...

So much of that application is MY responsibility, not DS's, and I feel a duty to do well on it and not slap something together so that I give him the best possible chance to get into YSP. It feels very weird to me.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Or is it just me, just another reverberation from my own time as a GT kid and my latent perfectionism?

P.S. Good luck, Mia!

Kriston
    Kriston,
    I certianly do know what you mean. Now that DS is grade skipped and placed in an unusually "strong" class with lots and lots of red-shirted boys, I find it tempting to slip back into "he's not so unusual." I was considering sending him to take the SATs this year as an 11year old, and when I saw the questions in the Math Prep book, I got all nervous inside. Really - it was very strange! I think we carry all the worries from both side - that they aren't having their needs met because they are too smart, and that they aren't really smart enough. It just depends on the external context to activate the feeling that are in there.

I reccomend to put a reasonable amount of care into the application, but if one finds oneself paralysed, then just rush through and mail the thing. That's what DS used to do with his homework from his old school. 90 seconds of pain and then he could play. I called it the "close your eyes and think of England" approach to keep my spirits up. According to some writers, that is also a sign of perfectionism.

smiles,
    Trinity

Good luck, Mia! I hope you get some great news come January! Fingers crossed. laugh

I laughed out loud at the "Close your eyes and think of England" thing, Trinity! Ha!

I don't think I'm paralyzed, exactly. But some of the questions are really hard to answer. Doubly hard because we're doing eclectic home schooling, so we're not using canned curriculum for anything but math. That means I'm not 100% sure where he's functioning in any of his other subjects. He's well above grade level--like several years above--but I can't tell how much. Even in reading, I've been guessing he's at 5th grade or higher, but I have no idea how much higher he might be. And now that I'm trying to gauge it, I'm thinking he might be a good bit higher...

I think what I'm learning is that I need to give him a midterm exam to figure out what he knows so I can answer the YSP app completely and accurately. But I have no idea how to make one or where to get such an exam...without paying for another achievement test.

Okay, maybe I am getting paralyzed now! *sigh*

England...England...England...

Kriston
    Kriston,
    glad you are giggling!
    Ok, for reading level, google the title and the word "Lexile" -
    For Science and Social Studies, send work samples,
    You are covered for math.
    Spelling - send current lists, doen't worry about assigning a grade level, they have former teachers on staff.

Do not give midterm exams for this application, give them after to better determine if you are underfeeding your baby elephant.

Just turn in what you have. Do not make a mountain out of a molehill. The Davidson Staff really are experienced in this area. I know you are used to having to do everything but breath for folks, it just isn't that way right now, ok?

smiles,
    Trin

Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Kriston:

Honestly, just by telling them what you tell us around here, I reckon you're fine. I'm astonished at your little guy and the things he comes out with.

When filling out Benjy's YSP application, I included several anecdotes that really describe my ds's thinking and exemplify what he's able to do. We don't homeschool and he's not as overtly intellectual as many of the kids on this board, so it was difficult to answer the questions for me, too. But I did it ... It is hard, though!

You're right; I'm not used to having to hold my breath on something academic for him. On the flip side, even if he gets turned down from Davidson ... well, to be able to apply at all is not too shabby, is it? smile

I've got to agree: If you're getting too involved, just mail it. And include some of the things that your ds says, because he sounds mind-bogglingly brilliant to me.

Mia
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...