Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    OH MY GOSH SHARI! wow. I wish we lived near you, then DS5 could hang out with your DS. Gee, you already were the busiest person I had ever heard of, what's one more *little* thing. ;)Good luck to you!

M
    M
    that IS really exciting, and talk about bold! And creative thinking! I'm impressed and eager to hear how it's going! I sometimes think these things, but I've never actually DONE them! I started school in a K-8 schoolhouse in rural WY, and my mom taught it when I was an infant and she just brought me along. I think that is a really cool, and wish I had some sort of similar set-up. On the other hand, with my current baby, I can't imagine actually managing to teach, unless it were something I could do with no hands! I'm really sorry your son had that hard time with the wolves, though! I hope it fades quickly.

M
    M
    Sending congrats best wishes your way! How exciting! smile

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Very exciting news...I was wondering how things were going for your son. Was the school work at least challenging for him in 4th?

Crisc
    Q
    Q
    Great solution! Good luck!

M
    M
    Well, cool!

Just what I like, a woman with guts! You go, girl!

peace
    minnie

D
    D
    What a wonderful opportunity that came your way. I'm glad you found an opportunity to give your son the schooling he needs in an environment that you are comfortable with.

Wow. Talk about a huge step. Congratulations and good luck!

LMom
    OP Offline
    Update....

My DS' last day of PS was ugly and horrible. Taking him out of school was the best decision I ever made. DS was made line leader to go to lunch. A girl in his class got in front and DS told her to go to the back of the line. She refused. Since the girl was 4 yrs older are much bigger than he was, he chose his course of action. He stepped on her foot. DS is very serious when given responsibility. The girl went running to the teacher who promptly "demoted" my son. He completely lost it. In his mind he was fulfilling the role he'd been given.

He got hysterical in the hallway and sat on the floor refusing to move. The principal told me that he was howling so loud that every teacher in the school came running. One of the teachers carried him to the office at which point he exploded. He jumped up on the chair and screaming at the top of his lungs, started ripping everything off the bulletin boards. Needless to say they called me.

When I got to the school he was sobbing, uncontrollable. This is completely out of character for my DS, he's never had much of a temper and he's NEVER completely lost control before. I scooped him up and took him home. It all came pouring out at home. He felt that he couldn't do anything right. I asked him why he didn't ask for help and he replied that he was supposed to know everything and shouldn't need help. For hours the tears came, on and on, he beat himself up for "ruining everything". Damn perfectionism!

The next day, he went to the preschool with me. He was very subdued and I just kind of let him hang. He helped in the 4 yo class with an art project and spent alot of time following me around. He even asked if he could have a cot to nap with the others. He slept for almost 3 hours. I went to the school in the afternoon to disenroll him and spent the entire day convinced that I had ruined my son.

We talked again that evening and my son was at a loss to explain what had happened. We agreed to leave it behind and start fresh. The next morning, I gave him some simple assignments and let him spend the rest of the day selecting books and just kind of nosing around. The school has a huge library of books as it was an elementary school at one time. We've continued this pattern for the last week and I'm happy to say that my "wimpy kid" is still in there.

When I h/s him for K, he used to sing while doing his math. It drove me crazy! I couldn't figure out how he could concentrate on his work while belting out the oldies. Yesterday, while doing his math, he started to sing and I, big dork that I am, started to cry. He hasn't sung for a long time. I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me that this was a sign of unhappiness. I just assumed that he'd outgrown it or whatever. One of the preschool teachers walked in and there I stood, tears running down my face and a big goofy smile. God, these kids are sooo hard! I can't tell you how scared I was that 3 weeks of school had screwed him up forever!

On a side note, the preschool is doing fine and I have a 3yo GT kid. Talks like a 10 yo!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Ok, now you've got me crying over the singing while doing math! Shari, I'm so glad that things are better after what sounds like the worst possible school day. And I don't believe you can ever ruin your child when you are simply doing your best to figure out what will work for your DS.

I'm glad the preschool is going well too!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM