Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 420 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    We used the Singapore My Pals Are Here series when DS was that age.... It would be a good candidate for official curriculum submission because other than being a good series (although they've changed editions since, I'm assuming it's just as good!) the workload is very light... so it's easy to get through without stress. Excellent critical thinking, but not a ton of work, so there's plenty of time left for you to add in whatever extra topics or reading you would like.

Erica
    I
    IronMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks for all the suggestions you guys. It's so nice to feel that you all care!

In the end I just put unit studies/library books and also double-checked that the State doesn't test or expect a test to be done on anything other than English and Math. So really, any other subject is open. My very lose plan all along has been to try and make sure he covers what they'd be doing in school anyway, but also try to keep things linked to a sense of chronology. On the side, he's also done a volcano kit, he's super into Sharks - so we've done the whole Shark Musuem, touch a shark, watch DVDs on sharks and bought the "take a shark apart anatomical" set.

The world list will be really helpful - thanks Kriston - and I will check out all the suggestions but the history linked one from Minnie might work right away - he's already into a few weeks work on Story of the World and I was wondering how to tie something science in with that to a greater extent. I mean, next week they mummify a chicken - so that counts right?

I
    IronMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    "Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. Dr. Nebel " - I like how the index of this book is set up -but it looks like a slog to read given as I'm working full-time and have to do the spelling and some language arts around that too!

I think the hardest thing for me to explain to DS6 so far without a visual aid especially - has been the concept of tiny particles and germs that he can't see. So short of whipping out my microscope wihch has no light - so hard to use..and short of using Usborne books which I found quite helpful as a basis for science - has anyone else found something with pictures or more hands on that would sort of get the basics of science across?

I can see really, why many of the educators I've been listening too on MP3 - like Lisa Van Damme just wait until the kids are older and teach the science chronologically - that way - the kid is older when the hwave to understand these concepts. This may of course, not apply to the gifted. Just seems to me though - that maybe Usborne or some other shorter books with pictures would help DS6 understand chemistry or particles -the same way their Human Body book helps him understand his insides!

M
    M
    Harpo liked Robert Winston's "It's Elementary: Putting the Crackle into Chemistry" (Dorling Kindersley, 2007, 96 pp). Maybe a start, for that topic at least? In the same series is "Can You Feel the Force? Putting the Fizz back into Physics" by Richard Hammond (DK, 2006). Winston also wrote "What Makes Me, Me?" (DK, 2004), which has quite a lot about cells, as well as more general anatomy. All have lots of lovely pictures and fun graphic design, as you'd expect from DK.

Hope those might be of interest!

peace
    minnie

O
    O
    we have a kids science experiments book that is lots of fun it's a usborne book. It's fun to learn by doing. check out your library for books. We also have so interactive science CDs & book for the computer: Interfact - Oceans, space & rainforest by two-can punlishing. mine is from 1979 so it may not still be available. I'll look for the web site & post if available.

O
    O
    http://us.dk.com/

http://www.usborne-quicklinks.com/usa

above has science books

no website on interfact cd

Last edited by onthegomom; 08/08/09 06:36 AM.
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by IronMom
    The world list will be really helpful - thanks Kriston - and I will check out all the suggestions but the history linked one from Minnie might work right away - he's already into a few weeks work on Story of the World and I was wondering how to tie something science in with that to a greater extent. I mean, next week they mummify a chicken - so that counts right?

LOL - we counted that as science and did some internet research on how the baking soda, salt, etc would work to preserve the chicken. That was really a gross little project! The kids loved it though and bragged to everyone they had a mummified chicken in the basement. wink

The history/science tie in is a great idea. I'm struggling with what to do for history this year. We did SOTW last year volume 1 with alot of extra materials from the library, etc. But SOTW wasn't a big hit for DS (better for his younger sister). I might just do it to hit both kids and let him work with some other stuff. I think I'm for sure going to have him read incrementally the cartoon history of the universe. I think that will be a hit and easy. Usborne's encyclopedia of World history has been a great resource and is a format that my son particularly likes. And has internet links!

I
    IronMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks again for the suggestions. We are going to try to tie science in with history of the world - as it seesm for 1st grade here the emphasis is still on the Pre-K work DS6 already the last severeal years - namely cycles of the seasons, volcanoes, etc. He's done that since Montessori. We figure we can work volcanoes in with Pompeii, and he's already aware of the Sun and it's importance from studying Egypt, which covers agriculture etc. and they are mummifying a chicken - so the biology aspect sort of comes in too. In fact, when I complained about the Sun this weekend and told it to "go away we need some rain" DS6 told me I was insulting Ra and that this was possibly not a good thing to do - and he was joking of course - as he knows Ra is not a god we actually believe in anymore - but it was just hilarious!

If anyone has details of waht's in Singapore Science I'd like to hear more about it though. Just curious.

I
    IronMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    DS6 has loved using the Usborne encyclopoedia too - hubby says it really provides a good review of everything they have done in SOTW. He also ordered the Kingfisher Encyclopedia and loves that. I think the hands on aspects of SOTW - making the clay models and coloring the pictures we got a Ben Franklin for Egypt have really solidified everything. Don't know what I would do if DS6 didn't like SOTW though! That would be tough!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM