Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 224 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #5299 12/05/07 01:30 PM
    Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My kids must be weird. Today I mentioned to a fellow homeschooling parent that my kids are planning to take the upcoming National Mythology exam (for middle school) and the Medusa exam (high school). I know that her child is gifted and enjoys mythology, so I thought she'd be really excited about finding this opportunity. She's a really nice person, and after her first reaction of, "What, take a test for fun?" she apologized and said that she'd mention it to her child.

I have to admit, I was a little crushed. My kids are SO excited about mythology, and they relish the chance to show what they know on a test. They were taking practice Medusa exams (from past years) for fun, and comparing scores and talking all about the questions. It was a very dynamic experience. Sometimes I get reminded that my kids may be in the minority when it comes to enjoying tests, or doing other things, and I feel a sort of desolation wash over me.

For those who have children who like to take tests for fun, these myth exams are a great way to go. They are available to homeschoolers and not very costly.

Lorel #5303 12/05/07 02:31 PM
    Wow Lorel,
    Thanks for sharing. I would think that after the recent popularity of the "Percy Jackson" series that there we be a lot of interest. Personally, I take tests for fun whenever I get the chance - Usually after listening to an Audio series of Lectures. And I'm sure Cosmo Magazine still has it's quiz section, although please don't ask me to look. It seems to me that half the adverts on the Internet are inviting folks to "click on this link to take this quiz."

Smiles,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #5309 12/05/07 05:55 PM
    My DS6 would eat this up with a spoon! Does it go any younger than middle school?

Kriston
    Kriston #5328 12/06/07 05:19 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi Lorel,

Neat idea. I had heard about that a long time ago but had forgotten. DS 9 has asked for a book on Greek Mythology for Christmas. I searched through the bookcases and found about 12 of them and stacked them on his bed. Done! (Just kidding). If you have any recommendations of great coffee table like book on myths with drawings, etc. let me know.

Thanks.

cym #5338 12/06/07 07:40 AM
    Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Trin,
    Interestingly enough, the child in question was introduced to Percy Jackson by yours truly. That's how I know he likes Greek mythology!

Kriston,
    I think the lowest grade you can register as is 3rd for the National Exam. That doesn't mean that a six year old can't take it though; my dd was six when she took it last year. The main exam is only 30 multiple choice questions based primarily on the D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths. (I am not going to try any fancy underlining today, as I have a wrist injury from a fall on the ice last night!) I probably shouldn't be trying to use my right hand at all.

Cym,
    The old D'Aulaires book is a terrific first source for kids. My kids are telling me that they recommend the new "ology" book on mythology, and Aliki's, The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus. The Friendly Guide to Mythology by Nancy Hathaway is also good, and includes myths of many different cultures. Warning: it contains lots of references to sexual union and even in one case, mastubation that results in the birth of a god.

Some of you must be familiar with the Teaching Company lectures. We are currently finishing up a very good series of TC lectures on Greek mythology. I was able to get them through my local library- check and see if your library has them as well.

take care-

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM