Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    I was trying to evaluate online game play but ran into issues. It might be how I have his account configured (parental controls).

I did jump ahead and test out one of the later missions (shhh don't tell your DS that you can skip). They pretty much get right into equations and algebra by the end. Good stuff.

JB

Q
    Q
    A few more helpful things. It says that the single player Evolver game is quite large. Here are the technical reqt's: http://www.tabuladigita.com/support/systemrequirements.html

I also realized that once you have a username and password and can log in on www.tabuladigita.com and click on the "learning center," click on a "module," and then launch the "instructional module" where there are explanations and activities. The explanations in the journal area of the game itself were pretty much just summaries. The instructional module appears to actually teach the topics. So we got more than we bargained for. smile

Q
    Q
    Apparently, there is no multi-player online game for single users of Evolver (I guess as opposed to schools). He just signed in on the online vs. offline part of the first screen. I also have parental controls on DS's side of the computer, but I just realized he played on my side today. So far, it's been a review of prior EPGY and Aleks, but moving forward, I think we'll have to use the instructional modules.

Did you create your profile by clicking "Play Online" on the first screen? That is where I was running into issues. It was saying that it couldn't connect to the server. I'm on a Mac and have parental controls enabled so I was thinking that was the issue. I've got the registration code so we should be able to create an online profile and play online. I'd love to get those instructional modules. (Might refresh my memory as well...)

JB

Okay I figured out what I needed to do to create an account (I had to create the login from that first screen). I looked at the online teaching modules for each mission and math area.

Wow.

This is *totally* worth the money if you use the online guided instruction with the game. We don't do EPGY or Aleks so I can't compare, but I'm very happy to see these teaching modules. They should promote that part of it more IMO.

(Now if I could just convince the school to teach DS this during the day...)

JB

Could you tell me more about the online guided instruction? What is it? Why is it so good?

We have Descartes' Cove and DS8 loves that. Is it doing something similar? (If you are familiar with D's Cove...)

Kriston
    DW is really eying Descartes' Cove... After DS is finished with this game, we'll probably get Cove. However, I'm guessing that Evolver will last us until at least Christmas as DS only really plays it during the weekends and likes replaying levels.

Each mission/level (of which there are 20) covers between 1 and 3 math concepts. They are covered pretty well in the game, but I wouldn't say that it's instructional. I'd place it in the category of a game that uses concepts that you'd ordinarily learn in school. For example, when they do order of operations ("PEMDAS") they do explain it and you have to use your knowledge of order of operation to complete the level. At the end there is a brief "quiz" that is required to complete the mission. I was okay with this because either DS was getting enough out of the game to figure it our, or I would just spend a moment or two and explain something to him.

After seeing what they offer online, I'll probably have him do the lessons there first, then play the level. When you go to the learning center area they provide you with typically 1 (but as many as 3) flash based games that I would say are much more focused on instruction and review of a given concept. I've said to DW, gee I wish THIS is what he was doing for homework! They go into more detail and relate directly to the level in the game and concepts covered there. The virtual "manipulatives" that I've seen so far are SOOOOOO much better than what DS is getting in school.

Between the game and the online learning center, I don't think you're missing a whole lot that would be covered in pre-algebra. Part of what I've been worried about with DS is that when we informally talk about math, I'm probably skipping concepts. The game has been pretty good about making sure you cover all of it.

JB

Q
    Q
    Hi, JBDad,

Yes, he logged in on the first screen to play online. Then on the website, there is a place to see your scores. It's not set up for single users yet, but says the feature is coming soon. It appears to be a full curriculum. Nothing tricky, but teaching all the rules, like order of operations, rates and ratios, etc.

Kriston,

As I recall, Descartes Cove doesn't really have the instruction. You can read how to do things - right? - but there aren't practice exercises other than those in the game to collect the stuff you need to play. The instructional module online has activities - it makes you identify the correct symbol for square units, for example, and after you do that, the screen changes and you're asked to do something else. All in the context of the game and trying to accomplish the mission - plus the game voices read the script outlining the problem. Not sure I can get DS to do the intructional modules routinely, but for anyone looking for fun math, I think it's a winner.

But - we are not "mathy" types around here. I used to be, but that was so long ago I don't remember. So this isn't teaching the why so much as the how. I can't comment on the level of instruction and how it compares to Aleks and EPGY and Thinkwell. What it does for us, however, is more important at this stage - it makes DS hugely excited about math. And from reading the website, I believe that was the purpose to begin with. DS went from having math as his favorite subject to hating math after doing EPGY 3rd grade through CTY. I'm hoping this brings him back.

They do have demos. We didn't wait. Contact the company, try it out and let us know what you think.

OP Offline
    Ok I'm trying to register online so I can access the teacher info. I can't recall how we got the registration code. I tried using the google checkout number but it says "invalid key." I only have the emails confirming the order and payment. I can't find the email that must have contained the download information. I would assume a registration code was contained in it?

HHHHEEEELLLLLPPPPP!

Dazey (and yep, still confuzed)

In the email that I got from them, it included a key that started with "DME" I think. I am sure you can email them to get it resent to you. They got back to me pretty quickly (during business hours).

The one thing that was a little annoying was that you had to create your account from within the game. So I had to type in that looooong number and couldn't just copy and paste it from the email.

Hope that HHHHHHEEEEELLLLPPPPS :-)

JB

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 01:03 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM