Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    BTW, I did order the game. One thing to note is that this is a downloadable game. Normally that means you can download it as soon as you place the order. I ordered it just after their office closed for the day and apparently it's not automated. Long story short, I did have to wait a business day before I could install it. Not a huge deal but if you order it on the weekend it could take a few days before you can play the whole game.

DS is very excited to play... he wants to show his mom the new math game...

JB

OP Offline
    Great! My boys are chomping at the bit for me to order the program. Let me know what you think.

OP Offline
    Any updates JBDad on the pre-algebra game? HOw's it going?

I was going to wait for one or two missions before giving a thorough review... In fact maybe we could ask for a sub-forum in Recommended Resources for reviewing educational games and online resources? Hmmm...

The short of it is that DS6 really, really likes it. And... a positive for us... it's going into things that he does not know. While they game does a good job explaining concepts, some concepts do require that I explain it in a little more detail. For example, distributive and communicative properties of multiplication (we're currently on for this mission). He'll get it, but it helps if I give a little more explanation that is given in the game. Considering that this game is meant to be an adjunct to learning (or simply reinforcement) that doesn't surprise me. As mathy as he is, I wouldn't expect him to get all of the concepts just from this game.

I'll post more probably by the end of the week... unless school starting (Monday) distracts us.

JB

OP Offline
    Finger is on the buy button......any more thoughts?

Because school has started we haven't had much time to play (and DS got on restriction for the day...)

I think we'll get value out of it. It's not out of line with a real xbox game. DS has needed some guidance on some math concepts, but they are pretty advanced. It can have periods where it's more arcade than learning game, but I'm okay with that.

I'll be interested to hear what you think too.

JB

We got a little farther in the game this weekend. I like it. It's covering some more formal math topics and filling in gaps that DS hasn't gotten from just us talking about math. A good win I think. I love how they also let you make mistakes (send out more badies). The journal concept is good too because it let's DS refer back to instructional material (one sheaters--perfect for him) when he doesn't immediately know the concept being introduced. Good puzzles too. Only real big complaint is that you can't save mid-mission. They can take a while to do the first time through.

D&C what did you think?

JB

JB

OP Offline
    I haven't hit the buy button yet lol. I thought I'd give you some more time to play with it. BUt you're convincing me. What is the journal concept you spoke of?

And please, call me Dazey. laugh

We're playing today more now that it's a holiday weekend. He completed one mission yesterday and one this morning... I really like it! It's stretching DS which is perfect. For example, this "mission" is about orders of operations. They have been very clever about how they created the game so for example, this one flower "pod" is an expression like 5 x ((10+2)/6) + 2 and you have "charge" each branch of the pod. Each branch would be some sub-expression like 10 + 2, 12/6, 5 x 2, etc. BTW this is given after your in game companions introduce the concepts so it's not like you're expected to know it right off the bat.

The journal entry is some very basic written text that describes the concepts currently being covered in each mission. I do have to help every now and then and explain something in more detail. But in general, the boy is getting it. I am sure it will take some repetition for him to have mastery but a) in the school systems when he'd get to this level, he'd be getting full blown instruction by a teacher, and b) he loved Timez Attack so much I know that he'll play and re-play the missions over and over again. Really when I jump in to help DS it's usually more about helping him find the next widget in the game or find the exit.

The only negative is that the game is a little choppy on the laptop that we have set up for the kids. On the Mac Mini it's great (but that is currently set up in my office). I may let them "borrow" the Mac though. Make sure you play the demo copy to see if performance is acceptable on your computer.

Very happy with the purchase otherwise.

JB

OP Offline
    WE played the demo on our iMac 2.4GHz intel Core Duo and it worked just fine. It wasn't choppy at all.

Sigh.... i may have to fork over the money to buy this game lol.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM