Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #50947 07/16/09 02:07 PM
    I
    IronMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Just posting what I think Dazed and confuzed just posted -simply use your internet to type in "contact congress" and use their link to find your zip + 4. You can post most of this email into the box that comes up with a few adjustments without having to write an entire new letter if you don't have much time.

Dear Prufrock Press Customer,

The National Association for Gifted Children has called for "emergency" action to save federal funding for gifted education. However, if you wish to help, you must act before the end of business today.

As a subscriber to Prufrock Press' E-News mailing list, you have indicated that you are a supporter of gifted children. As such, I would like to make a personal appeal to you to act on behalf of gifted education.

Federal funding for gifted education is on the chopping block, and your action is needed. The only federal funding for gifted child education is known as the Jacob K. Javits Gifted and Talented Students Education Act. While small in comparison to other education programs, this funding supports important programs and research focused on identifying and serving disadvantaged gifted students. These limited funds were cut out of the proposed 2010 federal budget.

Please consider e-mailing or calling your congressperson and asking that at least $7.5 million be reinstated in fiscal year 2010 for the Jacob K. Javits Gifted and Talented Students Education Act.

Please suggest to your congressperson that funds currently earmarked for local special projects be directed to fund the Javits Act. These special projects funds have already been budgeted, so ask that some of these dollars be allocated toward gifted education. By simply shifting these funds, federal spending would not be increased.

The National Association for Gifted Children has posted detailed instructions related to contacting your representative in Congress. <http://www.magnetmail.net/actions/e...372&user_id=NAGC&group_id=343230>

Please keep in mind that you must act today.

Thank you for considering this request.

Joel McIntosh, Publisher
    Prufrock Press Inc.

Click here to follow me on Twitter <http://twitter.com/joelmcintosh> .

Yes lol I just posted it! Writing my email now.

I
    IronMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Dear Prufrock Press Customer,

Last week, I wrote to you about the National Association for Gifted Children's call for "emergency" action to save federal funding for gifted education. I am writing you today to give you an update on the situation and let you know that additional action is needed.

It is my great pleasure to inform you that our calls and e-mails to Congress helped change the minds of the U.S. House Appropriations committee. During the final hours of negotiation, Committee Chairman David Obey (WI-7) included money for the Jacob K. Javits Gifted and Talented Students Education Act in the "manager's amendment," which restored funds to the program that had been eliminated in an earlier version of the bill.

This was a great "win" for gifted children because the Javits Act is the sole federal program that focuses on the learning needs of gifted and talented students. As a grassroots community, the parents and teachers of gifted children spoke up and influenced the U.S. House of Representatives.

However, our work has not ended. We still need to secure funding for the program from the U.S. Senate. The first step in the Senate will be consideration of the Javits program by the appropriations subcommittee on Labor/HHS/Education, which meets on Tuesday, July 28, to craft its 2010 bill.

If you wish to help, please act before next Tuesday, July 28th.

The National Association for Gifted Children has prepared a very helpful "guide to action" <http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=5020> that outlines specific steps you can take to encourage your state's senator to support this important funding. Please visit this link and review the quick steps you can take to support federal funding for gifted education.

Please keep in mind that you must act by July 28th.

Thank you for considering this request.

Joel McIntosh, Publisher
    Prufrock Press Inc.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM