Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
    M
    M
    I got the call from the administrator. She used to be the pricipal at the Middle School in question and an Algebra teacher. I think it went well.

My daughter will have to take the end of year test for this school district's Pre-Algebra course; if she passes she takes Algebra, if not she repeats Pre-Algebra. Fair enough.

I guess we are going to dust off the math hand outs and get the DVDs thru Netflix of Pre-Algebra and Algebra from the "Standard Deviants" video series for review over the next few weeks.

Any other ideas for test prep??

My daughter will be taking HS Algebra in 7th this year. Her grades were very high in the accelerated Pre-algebra in sixth. Her main problem is organization. I don't think this is her age; it is her personality.

She got a letter about her class and if she does not make a high grade, she will be out of the class. I want this to be her responsibility. However, we are going to work on organizing. She has never had this many teachers.

I do not want to accelerate her to another grade level. However, our school district does accommodate accelerated classes. She will be taking a few online and correspondence, but will be a seventh grader anyway.

You can try the class and if she is struggling too much, put her back. I teach math and personally don't believe too much in pushing students into Algebra until they are mentally ready. There is a developmental process that changes around 13. I feel that Algebra is a very important class and if they do not really understand it, will struggle in higher math.

Having said that, we have a very low district and that is why I am accelerating her. She is very good at math and loves it.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM