Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #50543 07/08/09 11:06 AM
    OP Offline
    I am fairly new on here but it is obvious that all our little apples did not fall far from the tree. I am curious about everyone's experience's in school/life growing up when there was even less acknowledgement of giftedness. Did you like school or not? Did you somehow get what you needed there or get turned off? If you went to college how was that experience? Did you choose a life or profession that utilizes your talents? What do you wish had been different, if anything?

S
    S
    I had some trouble with school. I tended to do really well in areas that interested me and did not do things that did not interest me, which resulted in grades of As and Fs. I also tended to get carried away at times and change trajectory on assignments, which they do not approve of in traditional classrooms. When I was tested in 3rd or 4th grade, my school had a GT program that was outside of the regular classroom. It encouraged creative endeavors and allowed freedom of choice and movement among various activities (somewhat Montessori-style). This was great for me. I loved my time there. Then we moved to a district where GT meant placement in advanced academic classes only. That is where I struggled. I think GT kids also tend to have some problems with social interaction, and may really benefit from encouragement and guidance to help develop those skills. I think that might have been helpful for me. I had the experience of working with elementary age children as a college student, and I felt like I was learning some of those social rules that come naturally to children late in life! Looking back, I notice that I had trouble shifting between levels (Jr High to High, High School to college, etc) and exhibited some symptoms of ADD. I don't know how often this is a comorbid condition, but I was never assessed/diagnosed formally. All in all, I think things turned out well for me. Once I got into my major and specialty I did well and I enjoy my career, although working within an organization is trying at times (red tape and nit-picky rules). My first child will be born soon, and we'll see if he lands near the tree!

B
    B
    I think I was one of the ones that fell through the cracks. I remember getting called to the principal or counselors offices a lot because my state testing would be 98-99 percentile and my grades were Bs and Cs. I would get As on my tests and never did my homework. I asked to drop out of school in first grade. 8)

When I would get put into advanced classes I would get kicked out for not doing the work. Copying pages of definitions was not my idea of fun when I could just read them and remember them.

I loved college and had a 3.98 GPA overall. I am a SAHM now. I still don't know if my major was really what I should be doing. I think one of the worst 'perks' to being gifted is you are good at most everything you try so it is hard to find your passion.

N
    N
    Oh, gosh, let me see if I can answer without writing a novel. wink

I have always been a worksheet person. I love them. So, yeah, I liked grade school for the most part. I did have huge conflicts in K with my teacher, who was horrible and patronizing and tried to make me dance with letter people despite the fact that I was already reading at at least a high school level, and who eventually recommended that I be held back for failing to learn to tie my shoes. After grade school, school was just a place for socializing and daydreaming as far as I was concerned.

I turned off big time in about the 8th grade. It wasn't as if I was learning anything anyway...and that is not just what I thought at the time, but what I still believe today. I did everything I could, including actually asking my teachers for extra work. I was not given any accommodations.

I did go to college. I expected it to be challenging, but it wasn't. Then I went to law school. If it hadn't been for the law review, that would also not have been challenging--though I did at least feel that I was learning.

I am now a stay-at-home mother of a (highly+?) gifted child. I think that it is a profession that utilizes my talents. smile Also, when I did work as a lawyer, there was a lot of challenge, and it was reasonably fulfilling.

I wish I had not been in grade school at all. I wish someone had recognized that I was PG before middle school. And I wish that in middle school when I was tested someone would have bothered to change my educational situation instead of just being surprised and going on with the status quo. I wish I had known just one other PG person. (I did know a HG girl, but she was years younger than me, and while I enjoyed her company, it did not provide me with a true peer.) I wish I had not spent my entire childhood "learning" that hard work is pointless, that nobody gets me, and that nobody has any knowledge to share with me. frown

The irony is that I was in my district's gifted programming and participated in many enrichment activities, summer camps, etc. I am sure that my parents thought they were doing enough. I know they fought for me--after all, I would have flunked K if they hadn't intervened.

no5no5 #50554 07/08/09 07:06 PM
    M
    M
    I am a homeschool mom of two precocious kids, now, and love every minute of it. Okay, there are times I want to yank my hair out and I have recently come across some gray hairs, but for the most, there are way more great days than not.

I'm feeling too lazy to type more than the above; here's copy paste of my response in a similar thread "Adults who were accelerated" on this board.
    Tagging this onto the the end of this thread. My story is a bit different, as I wasn't accelerated in school - well not *exactly*. The option for multiple grade skips was presented twice during my years in elementary school. An offer from 1st straight to 4th was declined by my mother and another offer during 3rd grade to 7th was, also, declined. Both times my mother reasoned that she did not want me to be around older boys. I remember pleading during the 1st grade meeting and leaving in tears. I managed, over the next two years, to remain fairly optimistic about school. Then came the 3rd grade meeting, I had been aching for. Again, my hopes were dashed. I distinctly remember this audible click inside my head and I officially gave up on school and became the classic under-achiever - still received mostly "A" grades.

During the summer after my 6th grade year I became very ill and had to be hospitalized for about a year. Despite this, I completed all of 7th grade work via independent study within my first 4 months in the hospital; so they sent me 8th grade work.

Fast forward to when I was healthy enough to return to school. I was surprised to be on the middle school campus, as I fully expected to be starting high school. I was in a wheel chair and with the claim that I needed special accomodations the school placed me in 7th grade special education "classes". By classes I meant I spent all the time in the library and didn't get any actual assignments - there were none to give me, as I'd already completed middle school - or even see a teacher much of the time. I'm an avid reader, but much of what was in the small library I had already read and we spec. ed. students were required to stay in a specific area of the library. There must have been an invisible trigger for a silent alarm, because the moment one of us left our designated area a librarian was there to admonish us and send us back where we belonged. All that to say, I was in effect held back and in spec. ed. classes for two years.

At the end of 8th grade, I decided on two things a) I was going to walk again - no matter what, and b)I was done with school. So by the time the first day of 9th grade came about I was, indeed, walking without assistance. Then I approached my mother. I made my demands quite clear, either she sign the papers to let me start taking college courses or I take her to court and start emancipation proceedings. She signed the papers and by the time I was 15 I had two Associates degrees, started two different business that were fairly successful. (I made enough to purchases two houses by the time I was 19 years old and pay off all the student loans I had incurred.)

I must admit, I still haven't finished my Bachelor's degree. I actually, have enough credits, minus a small handful of courses, to graduate with degrees in, at least, two majors. I joke that I should have multiple doctrates and my husband agrees and always says that it would "be so easy for you". It simply isn't my focus right now, and that's okay.

Anyway, that's my accelerated adult story.

no5no5 #50555 07/08/09 07:11 PM
    M
    M
    After noticing that I was bored in school, my 1st grade teacher recommended skipping me to 3rd, but my mom declined, thinking she was doing me a favor by ensuring that school would always be too easy for me. My 2nd grade teacher's solution to the problem was to pair me with the slowest person in my class, so that I could help her once I was done with my work. I resented the arrangement and probably wasn't a very good tutor as a result. Beginning in 2nd, I was also one of two people in my grade who were pulled out for a gifted enrichment program once a week. The enrichment activities gave me all my best memories of grade school but didn't change the fact that the classroom curriculum wasn't challenging me.

Being an overachieving, perfectionist, teacher pleaser, I kept my mouth shut, did what was expected of me and got As all through junior high, high school, college, law school and graduate school, only to wind up underemployed in a job I hate. To this day, I'm plagued by perfectionism and the fear of attempting anything I might not be good at. I shy away from real challenge and, as a result, will probably never come close to meeting my true potential, although I am currently looking for a more challenging job, having realized a lot of these things about myself only recently.

I'm doing everything I can to make sure my son has a different experience. For starters, I've enrolled him in kindergarten a year early at a gifted school where every child receives an individualized education. This kid is going to be challenged from day one.

I also think a lot of my trouble growing up has to do with class as much as anything. My parents were rural, poorly-educated, blue-collar, working class people who didn't read, travel or enjoy any kind of intellectual pursuits. They frankly had no idea how to give me what I needed--no enrichment activities, no mentoring, no encouragement (actually told me at age 10 that college wasn't in the cards for me)--so I'm sure I should be enormously proud that I've made it even as far as I have.

Right now, more than anything, I feel very fortunate to have the education, awareness and income to be able to give my son all those things I didn't have. And to see him thrive and blossom in response! When I try to imagine him being raised by my parents in the community I grew up in, it makes me incredibly sad. I think that raising a HG or PG kid as a ND kid is akin to child neglect. At the very least, it makes for a real screwed up adult.

MsFriz #50558 07/09/09 04:36 AM
    A
    A
    I was also one of the lucky ones during elementary school, I think. I had lots of issues with talking during class and getting in trouble for it. In third grade, a teacher recognized that I was bored and recommended my mom test me for the gifted pull out one day a week. I got in, and I loved the program.

Then in fifth grade I moved to a new school that had gifted integrated as part of the curriculum. We would go to regular classes in the morning and spend every afternoon in gifted. That is also where I began to do Odyssey of the Mind.

In seventh grade, my mother had me tested for a pretty accelerated private school in the area. I received a scholarship there. While I liked the people and the teachers, once again, the work was easy. With the smaller class sizes though, the teachers were able to work with me a bit, and I never felt overly bored (that and I was allowed to read during class a lot).

I made it through high school with no study skills to speak of, and still received a 3.5 GPA. Then, I got into MIT and suddenly having no study skills was killing me. I was forced to learn the hard way during my college years, and even though I had a C when I graduated, I was proud of how much I learned.

I tend to make mild transitions in job function about every two-three years because otherwise I become bored. I do pretty well, though I still feel like I should be doing something more meaningful. I also push the schools to give my children challenging work because I feel like the school system failed me in a very fundamental way. I think gifted kids need to learn the study skills that most other children figure out in their elementary school years.

Artana #50560 07/09/09 08:49 AM
    L
    L
    Oh, brother. Where do I start? My siblings are all gifted (and older than me), so my parents had plenty of experience with gifted children. The oldest two learned how to read at 4 and skipped a grade, loved school after that, so my parents figured that I would be even better off since I did everything so much earlier than them. It wasn't the case.
    I started ditching school in kindergarten. My teachers would yell at me every day and call me a devil child or the dumbest kid they had ever taught, as I refused to do assignments, struggled to grasp the easy concepts (yet would bring physics books to read during class), and derailed their lesson plans. I made friends with a teacher in the junior high next door, and he would let me sneak into his class during 1st-3rd grade (until my parents yanked me from that school after my dad visited and saw how bad it had gotten for me).
    I started the new school with similar results, except that I found a friend at that school who also hated school as much as I did. With a new district, my mom was able to get accelerated work for me by junior high (college courses, independent studies--a dream come true!!!). I was fine for a year until a new administrator yanked me from my college courses and independent studies, stating that a thirteen-year-old should be in the 7th grade. This cycle continued until high school, when I finally gave up on school completely.
    My teachers hated me, and I started ditching school in earnest with some new friends, getting heavily into the party scene to make myself act like the perfect student--sit down, shut up, and pretend to be engaged...
    A few years ago, I decided to start college and enrolled in a top university's honors program. It was the first time I thatI actually learned in a classroom. My first year was a disaster, as I did not know how to study or even how to do an assignment or go to class regularly. I got through it and appreciated the learning for the next couple of years.
    Now that my oldest is in college and my youngest is in high school, I have started an MD/PhD program where I have found people like me and have been able to explore my interests.
    I tend to be very vocal and active in my community about giving an appropriate education to all children, especially in poorer districts similar to the one in which I grew up, and I tutor in districts without a gifted program so that no child has to go through the hell that I went through in school.

Artana #50564 07/09/09 09:01 AM
    OP Offline
    Wow. Great response guys. I know that for me a lot of my angst over DS education has to do with how I feel my education failed me.

My main concern, like Artana, is that gifted kids often learn poor study skills along with thinking that being "smart" means everything will come easily.

I went to good solid schools but there was no GT programming and no tracking or recognition of such. I remember desperately wishing that I could have the teacher all to myself so I could move forward quickly and explore questions even when they went off on a tangent. I did enjoy school for the social aspect as life at home was not happy and in school there were happy pleasant adults and kids to play with, otherwise I think I would have not enjoyed it as much.

In fourth grade my Mom was very ill and I had to move to NJ to live with my Dad for a bit. I went in October and within weeks contracted Hep A. I missed the rest of the school year except for the last few weeks when I got back home but they did not make me repeat the year even though I did no school work from home that year. I also graduated from High School a year early...a local option for those who would otherwise be taking mainly A/P classes. This was great too but by then I had terrible study habits and was more interested in moving away from home to pursue boys and parties. :-) My major for the first few years was Electrical and Computer Engineering and I managed to maintain a B average despite hardly ever going to class and being completely not into the subject. I wanted to double major in History and English but my father told me the social sciences were for stupid people (sorry...not my feelings) and I guess I was the stupid one because I listened. I ended up so turned off however, that I switched majors senior year and since I had the most electives in Pyschology that is what my degree is in. I also graduated college one semester early. This left me graduated at 20 with no practical degree, little ambition and no direction. Now, 20 years and four kids later I am three classes shy of my Master's in Education. I still would love to go back and major in History/English but no loans for extra bachelor's degree's and no money to spare.

Funny thing is my siblings are all quite gifted also but the one who I would say least so is the most successful going down to the most gifted having the least intellectually challenging job.
    I think this is a scary thought in that our children now...if they don't get their needs met may not only not reach their potential but be huge underachievers.

I also agree with the parents that no matter what our "jobs" are raising our kids is a challenge to all our talents. :-)

I often wonder how my life might have been different if my education was different and does different mean better?

PS. Artana, do you recommend Odyssey of the Mind? I have been looking into it and talking to the school to see if I can help put a team together hoping this may be a good outlet for DS and other GT kids in the school district.

A
    A
    Breakaway,
    I have not been involved in a while. I am just beginning to become a part of it again. My main experience is from being a child in Odyssey of the Mind. I absolutely loved it. It made my school day worth it, and I felt like we could be as creative and silly as we wanted. It was one of the first places where I got to be self-directed, having to coordinate with my team members, but not having an adult tell me whether I could or could not try out one of my ideas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM