Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #49899 06/24/09 10:18 AM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Since parents are talking about forming EPGY groups, I went to their website and looked at some samples. Am I understanding correctly that this is basically an accelerated math course that covered essentially the same material that most curriculum will cover?

I'm letting my kid do some MOEMS problems and he seems to really love them. The way I see it, MOEMS does not involve more than basic math concepts but how one thinks about these concepts is the key. One really has to have a very clear and deep understanding of these concepts in order to use them in a variety of ways. My impression from reading the EPGY site is that it is quite different from MOEMS. Is this right? Does anyone here do MOEMS? If so, would you say that EPGY and MOEMS are complementary to each other? Or do you think it's either/or?

Thanks.

I would characterize EPGY as a comprehensive, self-paced math curriculum, suitable for school instruction or home/after-schooling. MOEMS is math problem-solving, and is more complementary than curricular per se.

The big deal about EPGY open enrollment is the significant cost savings for signing up as a group, versus signing up as an individual student.

Hi Playandlearn....what resource are you using for the MOEMS problems?

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Twomoose, thanks, that is very helpful. I realized how much savings there is for the group enrollment. Very good deal!

D&C: we just bought two books that contain past contest problems and DS does a few problems everyday in the summer. So far this is the most challenging math that he has seen and he is finally having fun with math homework. smile Their own website has the books.

Thanks! I bought one of the books but it wasn't one of the MOEMS ones. I bought the third one - http://www.moems.org/Books.htm Creative Problem SOlving but I haven't had a chance to look at it.

E
    E
    DC : The Creative Problem Solving what you purchased is an awesome buy. No doubt about it ! It has certainly revolutionsed my son's problem solving skills.

That's great to hear (read) EMC2! Maybe I'll take it with me on vacation as my fun reading lol while the Grandparents occupy the kiddos! 8-)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM