Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    V
    OP Offline
    V
    Do your sons follow basic routines such as asking to be excused from the table, clearing their plate, and brushing their teeth? It feels like we have the same conversation each day. DS7 runs off from the table to go read/play, I ask him to come back and follow the routine (repeat several times for each step). I love that he reads and plays but I also need some help and I find myself in the classic pit of thinking, "if he's so smart why can't he..." Any suggestions?

F
    F
    My son is 3 and deliberately the opposite!
    My DD7 does pretty good, she thrives on routine,
    When I am having a problem I usually send them back for the redo and after they do correctly then I clap and say in my perkiest voice "yah! what a great job, I so proud of you!!" They usually remember better if I get silly and I usually get less aggrivated if I'm acting goofey!
    Goodluck

V
    OP Offline
    V
    Thanks. It's hard for me to understand why it's so hard for him when it seems like he needs consistency and routines. Thanks!

B
    B
    My DS7 similar needs routine but appears steadfastly untamed... I try to keep in mind how much he needs routine and structure, and apply it externally. I find I keep my expectations very minimal-- when he's finished eating he scrapes his plate and puts it in sink, at the end of the day he puts his own clothes in the hamper rather than on the floor-- but I have to tell him EVERY DAY.

I have a related question-- at what age should a parent stop cleaning a kid's room? I still clean up his room every day... because I know it helps him stay calm and more able to focus when the legos are organized, books are stacked, and the bedspread is smoothed. Otherwise I feel like he's overwhelmed by the combination of the mess outside and the mess inside!

P
    P
    My suggestion would be to have a family meeting and have him help to create the routine and to create a visual reminder of the steps of the routine (perhaps on a poster that is posted in his room or the bathroom). We had quite a bit of success with our son creating a visual reminder for the table - in the form of a card folded over to stand up on the table.

My DS6 earns computer time by completing his simple chores. He makes his bed, picks up his clothes and cleans off the table after dinner.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    R
    R
    i have the same problem, my DS7 and DD5 seem to want nothing to do with any routine or structure. I've started to try to reign it in my starting very small,making it very simple, and using any cues possible other than verbally reminding them over and over, which i feel just annoys and frustrates everyone. I am actually a bit relieved to read your post and we're not alone. this gives me such concern. I feel my kids are just so untamed and willful, but when i try to demand structure i feel like i become a tyrant. We're trying out "caught being good" tokens - when they have 5 they get a reward- but not sure how its working yet.

J
    J
    Same problem here. One would think that every day was vastly different w/ regard to the mundane. We eat everyday, we bathe everyday, we do these ordinary things every.single.day, and yet every.single.day I find myself saying "Clear your plate", "take care of your dirty clothes", and so on and so forth. And each day, it's as if it's the first time he's heard me say it...ugh.

One day these things will become second-nature.....I hope.

F
    F
    I have a related question-- at what age should a parent stop cleaning a kid's room?

I usually try to make my kids pick up their room every other day so it does not get too bad. I will also reward them if they do it with out asking.. which is rare.
    I don't do it for them but I will help out sometimes to be nice

Practice Practice Practice. It takes time and effort to enforce good routines. We have certain things that are musts in our home. DS 7 and DD 10 make their beds, they set/clear the table, they clean the table and floor after meals etc. We started with a chart. It wasn't a crazy, anal retentive chart. It had about 5-6 things per day to do (things they should be doing anyway). We made a check when items were done. You could not do the next activity until what you were supposed to do was done. They got a small allowance based on the checks (turns out my children have no motivation in money so I just "bank" it for them).

You can't do their chores for them. You cannot enforce routine when you discourage it. After a week or so the list wasn't needed. They do what they need to do when they need to, with only a modicum of reminding. Reading books, watching intelligent shows etc is not excuse. They need to live in the real world and that means doing chores that aren't fun or convenient. Such is life!! Try taking away going to the library as punishment for not doing daily chores. You'll be amazed at their motivation!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM