Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    PLATO Learning (formerly CyberEd)

"Our apologies for the delays. This is one of the most challenging deals we have ever put together, but we think you'll agree it was worth the wait! For one thing, we've just secured exclusive pricing for THE COMPLETE AND COMPREHENSIVE PLATO LEARNING PACKAGE!!! And, we want to roll out ALL of your ordering options at one time. So, please be patient with us, as we complete the set-up process. But the good news is this: MEMBERS CAN CHOOSE FROM SEVERAL SCIENCE COURSES and order them one by one. OR, you can order THE ENTIRE PLATO LEARNING CONTENT -- as in ALL SUBJECTS! There is just too much data to post in this newsletter, so please be patient as we put the information together to make your life, your product choices, and your ordering process as simple as possible!"

I hate to say if they are getting all the subjects at a reasonable price I might not have to shop for curriculum for a while. wink

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Indeed! Great news!

Kriston
    Is it really that great? LOL! I can't wait to see the science. You use it, correct Kriston?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    You can google "Plato learning subjects" and view examples of each of the subjects as well as a short summary of each class. It is generally middle school and high school material that the co-op had in the past. They are $109 a seat for each semester, per class offered at the Michigan Virtual University. They are very visual and interactive. I've been waiting for the science but also looking at the math and maybe even history at mvhs, so this would save even more money!

I'll be interested to see if by the entire subject list that also means they will get some of the elementary classes as well.

K
    K
    Hooray! I've been waiting for this news.

Did you get this in an e-mail? I'm on the mailing list for homeschool buyers co-op, but I haven't seen this.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Yes, sent to me this morning in the weekly email.

K
    K
    Ooo right, I just found it in there. That was a long e-mail! Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I was really subscribed to their newsletters right.

I couldn't find the samples after googling Plato Learning subjects....could someone please provide a direct link?

Thanks,
    Dazey

Yes, Dazey, we use it. We still have 6 months left on our subscriptions for Bio and Life Science, but we haven't yet touched them.

It has been very good for DS8. It's something he can do pretty much on his own, and it's reasonably meaty. He did the Physical Science, geared to middle schoolers, and it was a good fit.

I've only gone through the co-op, so I don't think I have a direct link, but I think you can get there from here: http://platosupport.plato.com/instructional/science.asp

It's at least in the right ballpark...

Kriston
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    www.plato.com/Secondary-Solutions/Online-Learning/PLATO-Secondary-Intervention-Library.aspx

This is the page but I don't know how to link so you'd have to paste it into another window. If you go to the bottom you can choose the different subjects and view the examples of the different classes.

Thanks!

DS6 did Earth Science this year and it was a wonderful course. We will do Life Science next year. Like Kriston I already have Life Science subscription valid till December but we haven't started it yet and won't till September.

I hope the co-op will make it available throughout the year. I believe you could buy it 4 times per year. I would like to wait till December before renewing Life Science and/or purchasing something new. That way I may be able to use it longer.

LMom
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I'm hoping with as much time and effort they seem to have put into this group buy that it will be available for some time to come. I noticed some other recent buys are listed as available until 2020!

So you all are doing the high school level courses?

Life Science, Earth Science, and Physical Science are middle school courses. They are just the right level for DS6. I don't think he could handle anything beyond that.

LMom
    I agree, LMom. The middle school courses were reasonably challenging for DS-then-7. More would have been too much.

Kriston
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Check out the new post, that might help a little more as well.

HHm I didn't see the middle school courses when I followed the link earlier...i think those were high school.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    The middle school and high school are combined in "secondary", you need to click on each individaul course to see the recommended grades.

ah thanks, i'll take another look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM