Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #48947 06/07/09 05:21 PM
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    The last two years has been exceptionally chaotic with my oldest 2E DS15. I was very worried about his GPA, poor study skills, and self-managing his ADHD. (I would love to manage this for him, however, he insists on being autonomous. With his doctor's supervision and recommendation, we allowed him some freedom). Top the 2E issues with an influx of teenage hormone, I think I've lost too much hair on my head. Besides, much to my reluctance to allow him to use meds at first, this has been the first 1-1/2 years on meds. What drove me insane was the procrastination. His unit test for preIB chemistry was 3 days away and he forgot to study when the whole class started this unit 3 weeks ago. mad He studies the night before with downloaded homework sheets and completes them in an hour mad Then makes a 100 on the test. Some of his poor grades was the gamble he took studying like this and then forgetting the test is TODAY.

Ok.... I'm getting to the good news. He didn't make the top 10% though he may still have a chance. He did excellently on his PSAT and he managed to complete all of his preIB/AP courses with an average around 88-95. Anyway, last year he participated in a 2E study where he scored the highest in logical reasoning skills at a local medical university... so this year, as they were following up with him, we got a call from 2 different university advisors who told him what they would like to see him do academically at his high school before he graduates. They also told him, their university has some sort of center to accomodate dx ADHD students as long as they can identify what it is they need in order to be successful.

Now my son is on cloud9. He's managing his medication, diet, exercise, and relationship with others on his own (with me monitoring silently). I am hoping this will last ....

P
    P
    Congrats. It is always great to read a positive story.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Thank you, PTP. I cannot tell you how I have been holding my breath the past few years. The following information was given to me so my DS16 can take the initiative to start advocating for himself and his disability.

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~AEO/adhd.html

I think we are trying to determine whether or not to disclose his diagnosis. For the most part, he would rather not bring attention to it.

J
    J
    Congrats!!!

I wish they had that for me (the ADD study thing a ma jiggy. ;)).

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations