Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 224 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    M
    My daughter skipped kindergarten two years ago (she's finishing second grade now). Last year, in first grade, she got a lot of questions from the kids about why she hadn't done kindergarten. Her answer was simply that she took a test and was allowed to skip kindergarten. Their reply was generally on the order of 'well, you must be smart' and they moved on.

This year the questions were a bit more pointed, and she does get some teasing about her size and age, especially around her birthday. She mentions it, and at times gets upset about it, but it generally passes quickly.

We've talked to her about answering the questions directly but not making a big deal out of the issue, not drawing attention by talking about how smart she is, not discussing placement in the gifted program, etc. When adults ask us about her school placement (which happens much less now, people don't bother doing the age-math after kindergarten!) we answer matter-of-factly and don't make a fuss about it.

We tried to skip K for DS6 but our school district had a strict age policy for K and 1st grade entrance. We compromised with the principal and had DS6 do half day of K followed by half day of 1st.

Unfortunately this has been a nightmare since both grades are academically woeful for DS6. This has caused behavioral and emotional problems for DS. Ironically, the part of his day that has been most tolerable for DS6 has been K. Perhaps it's the teacher...perhaps it is because it is far less learning to read or academically focused...perhaps everything has been more game focused...perhaps it's because he is allowed to do higher level math work on the computer when he completes assignments...perhaps it's because he is allowed to "help" the other children and supervise actvities...

I honestly wish we hadn't done this hybrid approach since now DS6 has basic given up and views school as a slow, boring place. He always tell me that "maybe he will learn something in X grade" where X grade keeps getting larger and larger.

When in 1st grade DS6 tells me that the other kids don't make a big deal about his age.

Crisc
    L
    L
    We're still struggling with this - and schools out today!
    Actually it's a 1st Grade skip, into a new school. I think the school is going to recommend 1st Grade, although there is plenty of evidence that he should skip. I'm just hoping the school will come through with the 'accelerated 1st Grade' that they've mentioned. The irony is that DSs Birthday, has him at just 5 weeks from the cut-off date for the next Grade anyway. We have testing from a very reputable psychologist in which he tested as highly gifted, his teacher's recommendation, all his school work (way above 1st Grade), and a difference of 35 days! I keep thinking that there will be kids that were actually due to be born later than him, maybe even with learning difficulties, that will be a Grade ahead. I'm trying to fathom it.

M
    M
    We've just requested a skip of K for our son. The policy in our district is that everyone must start in K, and after 4-6 weeks, they will assess how a child is doing, and will allow them to move up to 1st grade if they feel it's appropriate (they are very concerned about how well the child is doing socially/emotionally). So since my son is technically starting in K (and hopefully will be moved up to 1st fairly quickly), we have not had to answer any questions from others about why he is (hopefully) skipping. However, we have talked to our son about how things will be done in this school (namely, that they group children and teach based on what the children know), so if he moves up to 1st, he probably won't be too surprised. I'm sure at that point we might start getting questions from others. Close friends and those that know my son would think it's a no-brainer for him to skip K, but others probably wouldn't. Not sure how we would answer those questions, will cross that bridge if/when we come to it. I like the "because it's the best fit for him" approach.

N
    N
    Our DS6 skipped K and was in 1st grade this year. We really wanted him to skip the second year of preschool and go into K, but apparently K is something you can't skip *into*, but only *over*. LOL! They gave him the WJIII test at the end of last year, and let him skip K this year. They finally set him up for an ALP for 2nd next year, with the possibility of skipping into 3rd if it seems to be a good idea. I think it worked out well this year, but mostly because I liked his teacher and she really worked with him to cut down on his frustrations with the other kids and the way things work in school. I don't think he really learned much of anything beyond that at school. We shall see what happens next year.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Glad to see all your responses. Thankfully DS is a big kid and also has a summer birthday so the age thing shouldn't come up as much. I feel good about the K skip, just hopeful that he can get a good teacher and it will be a good fit. And a little anxious as to whether they are truly going to subject accelerate him or not. I hope they aren't thinking skipping k will be enough for him as he still will not definitely not be able to learn anything in Math and reading at a first grade curriculum. Our school said they would wait a couple weeks after he starts school to start that discussion as to how to subject accelerate. They said since he has never been in a formal school setting it will take him a couple weeks to get that down (right now he is in Montessori 3-1/2 days a week).

M2gts - that's an interesting way of doing things, to assess before moving on and then skip to first. At least it's an option and you can always tell people that the school decided that was what was best, which makes it quite easy.

Crisc- I feel for you. I worry about the behavior issues as well with my DS because while he is a wonderful well behaved child most of the time, he tends to act out and be goofy when he is not challenged and is bored. It has gotten him into trouble in school and this next year he will be in full day with a large classroom and possibly not challenged, even though he will be skipping K. Oh well, I am not going to worry about that part yet because you just never know.

Nautigal - we thought about "early entrance" too, but I don't think they do that around here either.

M
    M
    shellymos - we're lucky because while they will assess DS a few weeks after school starts, we already know he will be getting subject acceleration in reading and math. So far, the school has been extremely supportive in working with us. In fact, they wanted to meet our son now so they could figure out a program for him before the start of next year. We went in for a reading assessment yesterday, and we were told that he would be "grouped" in a group of one - namely one-on-one for reading at this point (they were a bit leery of putting him in with the older kids only because they don't know him and were not sure emotionally/socially how he will fit in). He goes for his math assessment on Monday, and we'll find out more about his placement in math after that. Should be interesting, because like your son, math is his strong suit. I have a feeling he'll be a "group of one" in that subject too - lol. It sort of scares me because even if he is advanced to first, he is still way ahead in reading/math, but at least this is a start and the school is really trying to challenge him academically, for which I am extremely grateful. DS came out of the reading assessment yesterday in the greatest of moods, kept talking all day about how much fun he had there, and is now looking forward to going to school there. Haven't heard that he is looking forward to going to school in the longest time. Like you and crisc, we experienced some big behavior problems in school this past year, and we are hoping that the academic challenges that they will try to give him will be enough. Like I said, it's just a start, as I realize we will have to be constantly assessing and tweaking his education plan. Very best of luck to you! Keep us posted!

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Sounds great! LOL about the group of one. I think DS will be in groups of one as well. People who don't really know him well say things like "he should be able to be grouped with others that are at his level with reading or math though" But there most likely won't be anyone at his school that is his reading level since the school is only a k-2 school, and even with Math he is above 2nd grade as well. Oh well, I hope that he stays excited about school. I am sure he is excited about the idea of learning something, but I haven't played that up to much because I don't want him to be disappointed if he doesn't learn anything. I am hoping for major maturity to come this summer in terms of behavior. I like to dream big. Good luck to you as well and keep us updated as well!

Shellymos,
    I am in your position! My DD5 is skipping K and going to first in the fall (it is really August, isn't it). We are nervous but it was really the only way to not let the year be a total disaster. She is sad to leave her friends, but she has outgrown many of them already and we are confident that she'll make new ones. We should all contact each other in those first few days for support! My DD9 is also skipping 4th grade, but I'm less nervous about that.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Yes that would be good...although we aren't starting first until after Labor Day in September because we are up north and start a lot late here (and are in school a lot later as well). Good luck to you!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM