Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #4821 11/26/07 02:35 PM
    OP Offline
    Since many of the parent teacher conferences have come and gone, I'm curious how schools use the WEPs? At least in our state all gifted and talented identified students must have a Written Educational Plan on file. Our school's is a work in progress and at this time pretty meaningless. It is a checklist that the GT teacher completes. They hope to develop it into something more individualized later on. I would like to find out how the WEP could be used in advocating acceleration or other accommodations in the classroom.

Jeni

I have no idea how it is here. DD just got into the GT program at school and my first meeting with the teacher is Dec. 6th. Ive never heard of WEP's but than again this is all new to me. Guess I'll be doing some research too. wink

Mia Offline
    Nothing is required here ... we live just north of Chicago. In fact, there is no mandated gifted education here at *all.* Thanks, NCLB ...

Mia
    CFK #4841 11/26/07 07:25 PM
    OP Offline
    Ohio has the WEPs but I think there are other states that have them also. They are now required, but I think the schools have some time to complete everyone's form and it should be shared with parents (similarly to an IEP). The form I saw for our district is very simple and check boxes instead of writing goals out. I hope they will revise these soon...

If there is a WEP revision committee, they may be lookibg for parents to be a part of the process....
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I finally found info on which states require WEP's. There are 18 that do and NV is not one of them. frown But thats not to say that our particular school doesn't have something like this in place. We'll see what the GT teacher has to say at our meeting.

K
    K
    Well wow - no one is doing anything close to that at our school. We are in MN. Lucky you!

Anything we get outside of the regular grade level curriculum is negotiated with individual teachers. And they don't make it easy - there is no block scheduling so you can go to other classes for math or reading. Fortunately, my son's teacher (1st grade) just made a few changes for the top few kids in my son's class. He actually came home from school yesterday enthusiastic.

There is a gifted magnet in our district though starting at 1st grade. Getting in is by pure lottery once you qualify. It doesn't matter if you're a 92nd percentile kid or > 99%. We are sitting on the waiting list. crazy

kimck #4865 11/27/07 11:33 AM
    Kimck,
    I'm glad you hear that your son had a good day. That's very good news.

I believe that MN has a very cool "Dual Enrollment" plan for high school kids who can take many college courses without having it held against them when college time comes. I also hear that they have a very hot State gifted association.

Smiles,
    Trinity

K
    K
    I also heard something relating to GT ed is going to come in front of Legislature next session in MN. Keeping my fingers crossed! I still have homeschooling envy though!

The dual enrollment thing is a great deal. I know lots of kids who have participated in that. I've actually heard good things about public high school in our area.

kimck #4874 11/27/07 01:55 PM
    Originally Posted by kimck
    I still have homeschooling envy though!
    Don't we all!
    ((wink))
    Trin

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM