Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by master of none
    At a recent seminar by an "expert" in ADHD manifestations in the gifted, we heard that in the very gifted kids, ADHD has the following 3 components:
    1. Inability to sustain focus on mundane tasks, despite good focus on preferred or stimulating tasks.
    2. Difficulty starting nonpreferred tasks (like cleaning out the garage) despite good ability to start and complete preferred tasks.
    3. Thinking of numerous other possibilities before getting to the right answer (=non linear thinking?) instead of just seeing the path to the solution and taking it.

He said these characteristics can interfere with academic performance and need to be monitored and treated. I asked if it wasn�t normal for kids to avoid doing things they don�t like, and he said no. Normal kids will see that they can take the path to good grades and follow it no matter how boring.

Gives some fruit for thought, but I'm not sure I buy it. I'm not ADHD and I avoid doing things I don't like to do. But then again, I'm not highly gifted. And he said this is how it looks in the highly gifted because they can hide/cope with their other symptoms.
    That just can't be true... I think that, particularly #1 and #2, have to be totally normal. I'm not HG, but seriously, this makes it sound like I have a huge case of ADHD. And I don't. Just because I like to procrastinate and haven't gotten around to writing a simple thank you note that I've been meaning to since January doesn't mean I'm pathalogic. Geez.

What does #3 have to do with ADHD, I wonder. That's just thinking things through, isn't it?

A
    A
    I often wonder about both ADHD and Aspeger's, or at least the mild form of both and whether healthcare professionals are just turning some very mature behaviors into symptoms of something off. Maybe the problem is that the gifted kids have a stronger sense of self than the others. They are not going to be motivated by grades if they consider that meaningless.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I often feel like my 6 and 7 year olds are going through their teenage years right now. They are already questioning everything, already have their own opinions and don't want to do things I ask them to do just because I say so, and balk against doing chores when they don't want to. My youngest would also be a video game addict if I let him. In other words, I see the components listed as something I would expect in teenagers, but maybe not 6 or 7 year olds. In which case what I'm seeing is a sign of maturity rather than otherwise.

Just a final thought:

My ds6 is diagnosed ADHD. I went to El Salvador to visit family for a week and stayed with my aunt, who had three ADHD sons out of five children. She watched him, and told me in very insulted tones that DS6 is not ADHD. He is very bright and enthusiastic, but her sons would never have been able to have the sustained attention that he can have when it comes to tasks he is interested in.

In El Salvador, no one thought anything about either of my kids. My uncles gave me some advice as to how to redirect my DS7, and took my DS6 under his wing and helped him work in the wood workshop. There was no feeling that the kids were different from other kids. It was extremely refreshing.

http://www.incrediblehorizons.com/mimic-adhd.htm

Perhaps this website bears repeating.

B
    B
    Thanks for putting this website up again. My DS11 does have ADHD (I believe as do doctors) but I don't think that the ADHD is the major cause of his school difficulties. I have ADHD and was one of those spacey, disorganized kids at school, but I didn't suffer a lot of diminished self esteem from this back in the "old days."

In the elementary school years I think the overexcitabilites of the gifted, anxiety that may come with ADHD, the classroom environment, teacher expectations, and finally learning disabilities should all be investigated in school/social life is suffering. Somewhere on here someone posted the article about the fact that the higher the IQ, the later the thickening of the pre-frontal cortex in children. Anyway, I'm starting to feel that except in the most extreme cases, an ADHD label in the primary grades might be premature.

Has anyone else started to go this route in their thinking?

Oh, and we were told that ADHD is difficulty focusing when you "want" to but are not interested in the subject. So reading a good book for hours might be "hyperfocus" which can be part of ADHD, whereas reading the social studies chapter and answering the questions (or not) would be a result of ADHD.

Benny
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM