Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    N
    Nik Offline
    N
    I am really intrigued by the possible connection too, I read in another thread about the child who exhibited autistic traits only during gym class and it got me thinking about how, in retrospect, my own DD's "Aspie" issues really didn't start to become prevalent until she first moved into a bad school situation in middle school.

After reading "Aspergirls" by Rudy Simone, I recognized so many of my own traits that I was convinced that I too had Aspergers. After more reading, I see that many of my "Aspie-traits" could also be explained as simply "gifted over-excitabilities". For example, noises such as: whistling, the constant hum of distant machinery or fluorescent lights etc, the feel of certain textures on my fingernails: that flame retarded polyester they make children's pjs out of, chalk, and oh the horror of paper grocery bags.

Even at 40+, I have felt capable of having a complete meltdown in the presence of a whistler at work. Thankfully, there aren't too many of them, but I carry earplugs everywhere, just in case. And I have surprised several previous co-workers by asking them to PLEASE STOP TOUCHING ME!!!

BUT, after reading about the kid in Gym class, whose symptoms went away completely once he went to a different school, I started thinking about how my own issues really don't surface in a problematic way when I am really engaged in, and happy with what I am doing. Those things still bother me, but not in an all-consuming, I am going to explode way, I am able to tolerate them much better.

I mentioned the Gym class kid to my DD, and she totally got it, she said "he just didn't like the class" so I asked if she thought he was mimicking traits (hand-flapping etc) just to get out of the class and she said "no, it's just shutting down in an intolerable situation to escape from it". Maybe we all have varying degrees of autism and we have just developed varying abilities to mask or deal with it, but certain triggers bring out the "aspie-ness" in some of us gifties?

D
    DMA Offline
    D
    I am hoping someone comes up with a new term to describe our gifted, often introverted kids who have some social anxiety, but are typical (or advanced) in their speech development, empathy levels and understanding of other people's point of view. A Theory of Mind deficit comes up in some definitions of autism or Aspergers, but not all. If a child has a good understanding of Theory of Mind, should they be diagnosed with PDD-NOS? Not in my opinion, but, ToM seems to be ignored by some clinicians.

To me, processing deficits can impact social skills - for instance, if you have an auditory processing deficit, you will miss alot of fast paced conversations in a group and may avoid them so you don't get teased.

O
    O
    My son began speaking at 10 months, and speaking in complete sentences by 20 months. At age four was tested by the school district who concluded that he was learning at a 7th or 8th grade level. He was diagnosed with autism at age 3. He had no speech delay (quite the opposite) and his language was/is very sophisticated.

Autism diagnoses are not consistent--it all depends on who is doing the diagnosing. Some kids like my son get an Asperger Syndrome diagnosis (there is no "b" in the name), some get autism, some get ADHD, some get PDD-NOS, and some get a combination of these. My son was reevaluated at age 5 and diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. It is believed that the original diagnosis of autism was correct, but that he has matured to where he appears to have AS. The difference in my son's case is the severity of the symptoms. He could be said to have very mild autism, or very severe Asperger Syndrome. He does not flap his hands or walk on tip toes, and he is very sensitive, especially regarding animals (particularly cats). He is highly gifted and has ASD. He is very empathetic, but doesn't show affection, is somewhat awkward physically, doesn't ride a bike. He is exactly like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory.

Many believe the hallmark of Asperger Syndrome is the "special interest"--a subject that engulfs the child. Can be something odd, like vacuum cleaners or antique doorknobs, or can be something more "normal," like bugs, Pokemon, or Twilight. But they will know everything there is to know on the subject, talk about it constantly, become experts. It is their comfort and their love. These interests can change over the years, or stay the same forever. Many boys with ASD love trains beginning with Thomas the Tank Engine, and grow to be experts on trains of all kinds. Many girls with ASD love horses or fantasy/magical worlds.

Rumor is that the next DSM will not include Asperger Syndrome, and that the diagnosis will be swallowed by ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder).

I urge people not to be ashamed of having Asperger Syndrome. There is a diagnosis because this diagnosis helps the child get appropriate supports in school and at home. Asperger Syndrome is nothing to fear.

N
    Nik Offline
    N
    My DD also began speaking/reading/writing very well very early. We used to joke about how she started talking in complete sentences well before age 2 and hasn't shut up since.

Originally Posted by Orson
    He is exactly like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory.
    Too funny, my DD is also a lot like Sheldon in many ways at times (but not as consistently rigid).

Many believe the hallmark of Asperger Syndrome is the "special interest"--a subject that engulfs the child. Can be something odd, like vacuum cleaners or antique doorknobs, or can be something more "normal," like bugs, Pokemon, or Twilight. But they will know everything there is to know on the subject, talk about it constantly, become experts. It is their comfort and their love. These interests can change over the years, or stay the same forever. Many boys with ASD love trains beginning with Thomas the Tank Engine, and grow to be experts on trains of all kinds. Many girls with ASD love horses or fantasy/magical worlds.

I believe this is what delayed my DD's diagnosis. From what I understand now though, girls are much more prone to be obsessed with things like reading or animals - obsessions that may seem more "acceptable" or "normal" and they are therefore far less likely to be accurately diagnosed.

I urge people not to be ashamed of having Asperger Syndrome. There is a diagnosis because this diagnosis helps the child get appropriate supports in school and at home. Asperger Syndrome is nothing to fear.
    I get the impression many Aspies are proud of being Aspies. I know my DD is.

Orson, thank you for your post!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...