Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Hi Tammy and Trinity,

I too put DD7 in a situation at a gifted program in sit. where she would pick two classes and I would pick one. She was not happy.... Guess which one she loved best? I actually had the director push her up to a class with older gifted kids and I was feeling a lot like pushy/crazy mom and a little nervous/guily. It ended up being the best hard decision I have made so far for her. It's amazing what the kids can do if given the opportunity to excell, she will never get this same opportunity at public school. She ended up falling in love with chemistry, was happy, and had that love of learning look on her face I hadn't seen in a while. She is now totally into DNA and body chemistry, neither of us would have know she had that interest because they don't do that stuff in second grade. I guess what I'm trying to express is....If you can swing traveling to a good program, don't be afraid that it won't be worth your while. If you find a good one for your dd, it will be worth it's weight in gold.

Incog

C
    C
    so how do you go about finding a good program? what is sit?
    are there programs that are good for 2e kids?
    others have discouraged me from sending dd to gifted camps because she might be frustrated if she is required to write or do things really fast.

DD7 has always expressed a great interest in science, particularly chemistry and biology. But there are absolutely no classes that she could attend to learn more about them. She would be over the moon if she could attend a class to learn more about chemistry. I'm really going to look into this. Thanks for the advice, ladies! wink

Calling all Moms of science loving seven year old girls...

Even if you don't homeschool, you can sign up for these GREAT Cyber-ed online courses through the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op. The co-op folks would then consider you an "afterschooler" and allow you the same benefits. My PG seven year old is loving the "middle school" life science and will start physics in a couple weeks once Life Science is completed. If you register through HBC, you pay only a fraction of what the courses cost if purchased directly. I think we paid about $20 per course. Let me see if I can make a link:
    https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_epp_offer&Itemid=323

best wishes-

Confused,

I am sorry to confuse you more, :), when I typed sit. I was abbreviating situation. I don't have specific information about 2E gifted programming, but you might want to start by looking into what the local colleges are offering. Stanford and Northwestern aren't the only colleges offering gifted progams these days. It seems to be the vogue thing in education to offer these gifted camps, even the local community college here is starting to provide them. You could see if your state has a gifted association. That would be a great way to find resources for your daughter.

Would your daughter be frustrated at a gifted program? You would be the best judge of that. My DD5 attended one when she was 4. She was with 1st and 2nd graders and she wasn't writing at all. She really wasn't even reading fluently. The teachers at these programs are usually pretty awesome and know gifted kids come in lots of different shapes and sizes. DD had alternative things to do when the others were writing, and boy did she love the program. The teacher told me she was amazed by DD4's deductive reasoning skills and that she did well in the class. She got a chance to stretch her intellectual legs, so to speak, even without being able to keep up with the others in terms or writing. It doesn't hurt to talk to the director of a gifted progam and see if they can accomodater your DD. The worst is they say they can't, but what if they say, yes, absolutely, we'd love to have her.

Lastly, resources like the one Lorel just posted, (Thanks, Lorel, I cannot wait to get my DD signed up for this program) can sometimes be the best. Your DD can work at her own pace and have fun, not frustration. There are tons or resources for that kind of thing posted around this site, so keep tuned in and good luck.

Incog

Wow, thanks Laurel! I'll be looking into that link tonight! laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM