Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 420 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #47799 05/19/09 07:07 AM
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Reading "The More Child" Blog today led me to an article about a father's experience "afterschooling" Everyday Math. (Thanks SwitchedOnMom!)
    http://ednews.org/articles/one-step-ahead-of-the-train-wreck.html
    One of the comments at the end caught my attention.

University of Illinois at Chicago Professor David Page studied the similarities between learning the language of advanced mathematics and learning a foreign language, and found that both are best achieved at an early age.[1].

Page, David, University of Illinois, Department of Mathematics, personal communication, 1996.

A study reported in the scientific journal, Nature, showed that when children learn second languages by age eleven, they use a different part of the brain than that which is used after age eleven. Apparently, language learning is more effective at this location, �the original language learning center,� than at other parts of the brain.[2] This may be why young children, in comparison to older children and adults, learn new languages readily, and it underscores the importance of teaching the �language of [advanced] mathematics� to children at an early age.

I thought this was an important point in terms of accelerating children in math but I couldn't find additional information. Has anyone come across anything like this?

inky #47805 05/19/09 08:13 AM
    I agree with the Author 100%. Everyday Math is a train wreak!! When my DS6 started school, he had already mastered the concept of multiplication. By the end of the multiplication section of EM he had lost that ability. Why? Because everyday math teaches many different methods to get the answer. They have partial products, lattices (the ultimate insanity) and others. The idea is that each child will latch on to one method and learn. Being the little perfectionist that my DS is, he tried to implement all of the methods reasoning that if one was good then all of them together should be better.

I had to reteach him to multiply and had a conference with his math teacher regarding screwing up concepts that he already knows. He know takes a unit assessment on each new section prior to being introduced to the material. Next year he is supposed to use connected math but I haven't heard anything good about it either.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    BWBShari #47818 05/19/09 09:47 AM
    R
    R
    My son was taught at home to do maths the traditional way - the way I was taught. At school they started teaching multiplication using 'partitioning'. This was a disaster and my son started to struggle. The thing is they used this method as a means to teach place value, then later on move to the traditional method. What better way to get kids to jump through hoops, master a skill then say 'forget that, it didn't really matter'. So next time teacher shows them something they think 'does this one matter? Should I bother learning this one and putting some effort in?'

Raddy #47822 05/19/09 10:06 AM
    F
    F
    I have had to reteach my DD6 math but for a different reason. She knew how to do add/subtraction when she went into K but when they taught it to her in school. They taught the concept using a number line. My DD is a sponge so we had to work to fix that problem.
    And now this year in her "accelerated math" class they are teaching her to count coins by counting by 5's!
    5 counts for the qtr & 2 counts for the dime.
    I had to go talk to the teacher because my DD can count change just finein her head.
    Counting change by 5's is the silliest thing I have ever heard to teach to ACCELERATED math students.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years