Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    C
    C
    I've told my students over the years, that there is always a choice but be prepared for the consequences. If you don't do your homework, I don't really care. But do not have your mom come in here whining because you got a C on the test. Because I will make you turn to her and say "I chose to get a C because I didn't do my work, study or pay attention."

Granted... most of our kids here would probably still get the A...

For me, character building is learning to be able to understand the choice, recognize the consequences of all the possibilities and make a decision.

I agree with Kriston- I don't like kids who follow blindly because an adult told them to do it. We actively teach DS to question authority, to argue for what he wants and to engage in the world around him. Does it make for heated discussions in our house? Absolutely. But you know what? Sometimes he's right and I'm the one being stubborn...

L
    L
    I make DD* do all the required homework and the past few months I've added Aleks. I should say that this has never been very much though and usually value added, we've been lucky. This year our teacher doesn't believe in Homework with the exception of a few writing assignments. We did do a science project after a little debate and figured out she wanted to do a project but didn't want to present so we made a video for her class, it was fun. We do ignore the read 15-20 minutes a night because when she does read it is for hours. I have backed off on the "enrichment" which is extra, (a camping cluster). At first I thought we should do it, but she showed no interest and it didn't seem value added.

As for the sheeple, at our house we are trying to balance too much natural questioning ability and attempt to teach them that they need to follow instructions. I wouldn't mind a class on how to squelch the debate, LOL!

I
    I
    Thanks everyone - you've either made me chuckle or made me super grateful for the small changes DS6's teacher has allowed this year. As I've always been a rule follower as well as a rebel (strange contradiction) I don't feel entirely 100% comfortable ignoring the "Kindergrams" - and I printed out the entire curriculum before school started - so that even if we were doing our own "at your ability" learing plan at home, I could keep in touch with what was expected at school.
    Last night we sat and spelt out the "sight words" instead of just reading them - which went GREAT! I always underestimate how hard it is for our little ones to actually write and how different a skill it is from reading. Out of 29 words, DS6 needs to work on 4 - but it was a start - he sat for at least 7-10 minutes, did some bouncing - sat some more. I consider this is a major achievement as this was our first "formal" session.

I was majorly annoyed to discover there was "no homework" at all for the last 2 weeks as its "science project time". Science Project is "making a pet" - are they seriuos??!! You "must do this, that and the other" - "Oh great!" - the rebel in me says. (I think
    it's because I had the type of personality that just "sucked it up" and made myself get through the boring tedium of every day and all the homework that I'm such a rebel about things now! I hate when I don't get what I personally consider to be enough notice about school projects!!)

Anyway - I got over myself - and we created a beautiful tortoise from pumpkin shell and clay this weekend - and it turned out DS6 had missed his art project making an animal from clay, and was also totally excited by the clay! So a seemingly annoying thing turned out to be a pretty good laugh and we had tons of fun! We have killed 2 curriculum requirements with "one stone" - but again - I just think work with what you have - enhance it - think outside the box - and rebel when necessary!

At the same time - I agree with MON & Kriston - it's a hard balance to teach your kids responsibility - but also allow them to "rebel" enough to flourish in the way they need too. I don't see it as productive to tell kids plain "no- don't the requirement" or "rebel for the sake of it". The original question of course was - do we do the "extras". I think they are worth looking at - and enhancing - but freedom is everything in this area - and those little "cut these words and make a sentence" things have never worked for us!! I think they are good if repetetion is needed for an "average" learner and a patient parent.

Last edited by IronMom; 03/17/09 02:04 PM.
    T
    T
    Hi Jen,
    I am sure when we switch to public it will be a nightmare!!
    If it really does only take a few minutes fine but the gifted public might be 2 hours of 1+1 and CAT HAT LOL!!
    That I will not stand for. He can do 2 hours homework, read a chapter book and do mult and division but I refuse to let him sit there and do work he did 4 years ago LOL!!! He is 6!

N
    N
    We have Everyday Math here, too. I have to say, even though DS6 doesn't need any of the stuff they do in his 1st grade class in that program, it does impress me in one way. I had nightmares thinking about what I was going to do with the math program that the school had the year before he started there--my neighbor's 5th grader had the most horrendous math book you ever saw, and there was no way I was not going to end up battling them over that junk! But Everyday Math at least does not force kids into doing things in one particular (and non-traditional) way; it focuses on how many different ways there are to get answers, which I see as a good thing. I haven't had to deal with it for any advanced stuff yet, though, because DS6 just does his own thing with his math and uses several different books that his teacher gave him that are not necessarily related to the actual school program of math.

All that aside, I see that I have gotten totally sidetracked by the mention of math triangles, LOL!

No, we take most of the homework (spelling pages, sight words, busy fluff) and toss it in the trash. We do the regular homework page in about two minutes and forget about the rest. He just finishes that so he can hurry back to his 4th grade math or algebra books that he really enjoys.

This reminded me of a homework assignment from my daughter's first grade year. She was to take a book from home and find all the verbs. I am not a person who enjoys talking about potty humor.

She immediately looked for "Once Upon a Potty", which has the most unique "doing" words in it. She won - we laughed our way through verbs. I still chuckle when I think of verbs.

F
    F
    I do make my child do all of her homework. She also has to do chores and keep her room clean. Most of those things are boring but I believe that she is learning responsibility and real life lessons. One day she will have a job and the ability to perform mundane tasks with pride will be needed.
    I will also note that we do go to a magnet school and our homework is more challenging than regular school.
    And as for extra worksheets.. That is usually child led, if she comes to me and asks me to show her something new or give her a work sheet, then I do.
    Potty verbs... now that is funny!

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM