Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 250 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I was searching online classes again today and came across the Texas Tech University College of Outreach and Distance Education. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with them or had any experience with their classes? They have K-12 distance learning options that I was looking at. They seem reasonably priced, self paced, within a certain time frame of course. Just wondering...

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    I would love to know there is a program out there that's reasonably priced!! I'll keep watching....

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    J
    J
    I heard about Texas Tech but haven't looked into it. Do you have a link?

I'm trying to find a summer foreign language, computer science, and math course (HS AP level)

M
    OP Offline
    M
    I contacted them today to enquire about some science classes. My DD9 really wants to move to high school science. She has vowed she wants to finish "simple science" this summer so she can move up to the "real" stuff.

Sadly, they were very caught up on her age. I guess it gets a little confusing because they have a distance public school and then the same classes offered to others not enrolled. I think they wanted me to enroll her in the public school. I plan to try again next week. The only other consideration is that they said that the classes are very reading and writing intensive. Reading intensive isn't a problem but writing intensive may be a problem from their point of view based on her age and writing ability. The classes and grading are very set and there is no variance from that. There are packets for a set number of lessons that are completed and returned for grading, a project, and testing through an approved proctor.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/ode/k-12/

I assume that by "reasonably priced" you don't mean the $400 a class that the Northwestern U program offers (gifted learning links). We tried a class and liked it, didn't love it, but liked it. Yes, the price tag is a whopper. Our state has a virtual high school that I think will accept underage kids in their classes if recommended by teachers, but the child has to at least be in middle school.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    I just cannot afford $400 a class with five children to consider. We are looking at the possibility of one this summer but aren't sure if that is even possible right now. I would like for her to have some experience where mom isn't the one assigning and grading the material.

The Northwestern program does accept financial aid applications, but I don't know what is involved. You might want to look. If anyone else finds anything, let us know! I took on an extra class (I teach online) to pay for it!

I checked into TXTech and the courses are to be completed in six months - which is great. They can begin at any time.

Latin is what is seriously lacking in our curriculum here. In really great schools, there are Latin and Greek courses for students like ours since it combines nicely with math/science/social studies. This course looks wonderful and teaches them Latin, with relevance to science and other applications of English/high-use Latin words and also teaches them Roman History in the process.

I am trying to keep her up, just in case we move to a city with a good school.

Originally Posted by melmichigan
    Sadly, they were very caught up on her age. I guess it gets a little confusing because they have a distance public school and then the same classes offered to others not enrolled. I think they wanted me to enroll her in the public school. I plan to try again next week.

Have you considered using her mental age in the future?

C
    cym Offline
    C
    university of missouri high school also has inexpensive classes and some specifically listed for "gifted". I haven't tried it but I know it's well-regarded. Also Brigham Young. Some other providers are APEX learning and Aventa. I think the APEX was expensive (maybe $600 for algebra 1 or 2 course) when I looked into it, but it's still cheaper than JHU or EPGY (both of which we've tried & liked but are definitely expensive)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM