Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #44345 04/12/09 05:15 PM
    J
    jojo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Miss 7's year 3-4 teacher has sent home a letter about movie classifications. In the teacher's view, it is sometimes difficult to stick to a "G" rating (- down-under, defined as a general viewing ratings for movies) in a mixed age and ability class. So she's asked for opinions, views and feedback about movie classifications. I always knew that this might be a problem when we grade-skipped. Because Miss 7 has a late bday, some of the kids in her class are 9. It's not like they watch a LOT of movies at school, but the teacher does use some movies as a complimentary teaching tool - such as the Bridge to Terabithia which looks at the issue of bullying. It is rated PG (parental guidance) for thematic elements including bullying, some peril and language.

I'm sure other parents in the class will provide the teacher with a host of opinions, but I wanted to ensure she had a gifted perspective on the issue. Any thoughts to add to my collection?

jojo

How sensitive is she? For DS7, a PG movie would be no big deal at all. For my sensitive DS4, even G-rated movies are too much if they have any sort of peril or sadness. (So we never watch movies...)

More than age or GTness, sensitivity would be what I'd look at.

Kriston
    I'd have to agree with Kriston, it's more about sensitivity than age. DD6 was scared to death of the Despereux (sp?) movie, but her 4 year old friend thought it was great fun.
    If she has a sensitivity OE I'd let the teacher know about it so if there is a movie she wants to show that she thinks would bother your daughter, maybe she could let you know before hand and you could make the decision about whether or not she'd watch it, and if she did watch it, but got bothered by it, could she leave the room?

K
    K
    It really does depend on the kid's sensitivity level! My 4 year old watches movies the 8 year old girl across the street can't stand to watch (and the neighbor is actually also quite GT). I consider both my kids sensitive, but movies have never bothered them. I watched a movie on TV with my 4 year old last night that had me crying and she laughed hysterically at the humor and didn't flinch at any of the scary or dark parts. It was about 2 dog and a cat on an adventure and 2 of the pets almost died. Really, I could barely stand watching it.

Mia Offline
    Originally Posted by jojo
    ... such as the Bridge to Terabithia which looks at the issue of bullying. It is rated PG (parental guidance) for thematic elements including bullying, some peril and language.

"Bridge to Terebithia" is rated PG for "some peril"? Umm, does the movie end the same way as the book does? Because ds-almost-7 would be really, really disturbed by the book, and probably just as much by a movie with the same ending ... he tends on the sensitive side, like Kriston's DS4, but I think that's a bit much for most 7/8yos.

I agree with the others, it really does depend on the kid. This could be a problem for any child/parent, not just in grade-skip situations.

Mia
    I agree, Mia. It is a wonderful book, but it is DEFINITELY a sad ending!

I suspect even my Spock-like DS7--who didn't cry at the end of "Old Yeller" (the book) might have trouble with "Bridge"...

Kriston
    L
    L
    There is a fabulous website for movie, book and video game reviews:

http://www.commonsensemedia.org

The rate by age, consumerism, violence, drugs etc and give you specific examples.

Originally Posted by Mia
    Originally Posted by jojo
    ... such as the Bridge to Terabithia which looks at the issue of bullying. It is rated PG (parental guidance) for thematic elements including bullying, some peril and language.

"Bridge to Terebithia" is rated PG for "some peril"? Umm, does the movie end the same way as the book does? Because ds-almost-7 would be really, really disturbed by the book, and probably just as much by a movie with the same ending ... he tends on the sensitive side, like Kriston's DS4, but I think that's a bit much for most 7/8yos.

I agree with the others, it really does depend on the kid. This could be a problem for any child/parent, not just in grade-skip situations.

I saw the Bridge to Terebithia by myself, and knew nothing of the book. The ending was so shockingly sad - i was bawling! In the beginning of the movie, I thought my DS5 would really like it and I was planning to let him watch it. No way after seeing what happens in the end! Actually - he is NOT sensitive about movies, so he probably would have been fine. But it's so sad! Finally find the greatest friend in the world, and poof! gone.

Originally Posted by lanfan
    There is a fabulous website for movie, book and video game reviews:

http://www.commonsensemedia.org

The rate by age, consumerism, violence, drugs etc and give you specific examples.

i concur - thanks lanfan, this is a great site, and i forgot all about it. The specific comments are great, because you can read them and gauge how your kid would react.

C
    C
    I read Bridge to Terabithia at an older age- probably 10- and I still remember sobbing hysterically at the end. There is no reason that movie should be shown!

As a teacher, it is difficult to stick to G movies... but I teach middle and high school. I wouldn't show or ask permission to show a PG movie to a younger group. that is a parental decision on a movie by movie and kid by kid basis. There are always substitutions. If you're trying to show a PG movie, you're not teaching to your age group.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years