Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    It sounds bad, but they talk ALOT!!!! And fast!!!!!

DD9 hasn't been interested in Pokemon at all, but now DD6 wants me to buy her some stuff because a little girl she plays with has the cards.

Dare I???????????

Mia Offline
    Oh, no, 'Neato, don't do it! Ds has a horrible Ultimate Pokemon Guide book that I got him from a school book fair. Baaaad idea. In lieu of a bedtime story these days (he's gone off Calvin and Hobbes a bit), he makes me go through the Pokemon manual with him, selecting our favorite Pokemon and making a list of them! "But Mama, Eevee has blah blah blah actions!" OMG, it's enough to drive a woman mad.

Mia
    K
    K
    LOL! We had a 6 month Pokemon phase at our house that hurt my brain. DS has never been very good at drawing, but he suddenly got very adept at drawing Pokemon characters. Happily, we're not talking about Pokemon anymore. Sadly, we're talking about Super Mario Galaxy instead. crazy

I just chalk it up to GT obsession. If it's not one thing, it's gonna be another! Pick your poison.

Be warned that if your DD6 plays Pokemon, 'Neato, my boys will find her suddenly fascinating! Pros and cons, right?

grin

Kriston
    I thought they already thought she was fascinating! Remember, she was teaching them all kinds of new *sign language* Ha ha ha!!!

LOL! Well, they don't seem to have taken it up. (Happily!)

But POKEMON?!? Well, that's a whole different kettle of fish! That matchmaking we were joking about doing? Well, we might not have to! Girls who like Pokemon are a-okay in my boys' estimation! laugh

Kriston
    Mia Offline
    Originally Posted by kimck
    LOL! We had a 6 month Pokemon phase at our house that hurt my brain. DS has never been very good at drawing, but he suddenly got very adept at drawing Pokemon characters. Happily, we're not talking about Pokemon anymore. Sadly, we're talking about Super Mario Galaxy instead. crazy

Dh and I are ROFLOAO! Ds went through a *horrible* Super Mario Galaxy phase when the game first came out. Every friggen thing had stars and princesses and galaxies ... He was Mario for Halloween last year! wink

Mia
    I am sure I am taking this thread off topic but my question kind of has to do with games in the sense of computer games. (Told you ... off topic and I hesitate to post here or just start a new topic. Let me know if I should do so.)

I question computer use with our kids and is there an age where it is too young? I had mentioned to my close friend how DD 2 1/2 is really good on the computer. She knows the in and out of it including how to load CDs; start the computer; maneuver through the menus, etc. She is also very capable with the mouse and clicking on links that are tiny and how to get around in programs including exiting from programs. My friend was shocked at her abilities but more that she thinks she is too young to be on a computer and claimed new research that has come out to support that children should not be on computers so early and it could be harmful. I haven't seen any of the research and really have no idea what the reasoning is for the idea of harmful. I certainly do not allow her to freely explore the internet and never leave her to her own demise. Someone is always in the room when she is on the computer (not that she gets stuck very often and needs help). She is also limited to how much time she gets on the computer and some days, like today she doesn't even get near it.

Has anyone heard this information? Could someone direct me to information about it? And is 2 1/2 too young for using a computer even though she clearly has the ability to use it as well as my mother. (What can I say ... generation gap)

Ds was playing Thomas the tank engine and other pc games at about 3.5. I remember he just loved it, no negative affects that I am aware of. It was a nice arena to express his abilities with shapes, color, etc. as those games were educational. Just a week ago I found his old leapster and dd has now claimed it. I am surprised she is getting pretty good with the pen and putting together the shape drawings. I would be interested to find out if letting her on the pc is bad.

M
    M
    I've had people give me the lecture about the computer before too. My DD9 was very computer savy at two and all my kids used it young. I lean toward it being one of those moderation things. Also, take into account that GT kids tend to do many things younger, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Now letting them sit in front of it all day at that age would be a bad...

My DD9 and one of my DD6's are Pokemon ga ga. My oldest DD started getting really bad when she found out that the creator has aspergers (which she has). I tried for a year to put her off prior and kept the cards to a minimum all to no avail. I'm just a mean mommy who limits DS time "to a not fair level". It amazes me how their little minds can absorb and catalog all those stats on each of the different charaters since there are what, something like 350 now! crazy

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM