Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    So you have limited the games to educational ones?

I'd like to add one other point.

It takes a lot of thought to be good at a game as well as good reflexes.

I think its better to play one very long stretch, say 2-6 hours, then not go back for a week, while thinking about my mistakes and the flow of the game and the scenes.

If a kid just plays it, then he or she is not going to get better. Its just going through the motions. The mind and body need time to rest and recover.

If you continue to allow them to play, perhaps posing the question, "how to get better more efficiently?" and "Do you enjoy the game more if you take a week off or just play it constantly?"

Mia Offline
    Shari -- Ha. Dh is a Linux engineer so I suppose he could just give ds lessons, but I think ds would respond better to someone else... Maybe I'll ask dh to ask around at work.

Austin--Block play times are a really good idea, especially for the games ds likes to play. I'll have to think about that ...

For my ds, the games he plays aren't "edcational," but he learns a *lot* from his game playing.

Mia
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Interesting point Austin. For sure 30 minutes won't do it. He reads his cheat sheets and works hard getting to levels etc. So to shut it off after he gets to a level after 30 minutes I feel bad. But is it ok to play for 6 hours say on a weekend? UGH man I am so conflicted here.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Ok maybe a few hour stretch on a weekend day. And that is it for now.

Maybe not 6 hours.

Maybe 3?

And he has to have a plan to get better - to have a purpose in his madness.

I think what you will end up doing is teaching him time management, research skills, applied planning, and focus.

You could be his PM and review his plan and progress.. wink

Give this a few months, then pose to him that he enlist his friends by delegating some questions..LOL

Last edited by Austin; 04/01/09 10:52 AM. Reason: added friends stuff
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    I used to be the same as a kid. I remember staying up ALL night w/a friend to complete mario brothers! Of course didn't make it to school the next day. I remember to this day how we killed the last guy we had to jump on his head to kill him. That was almost 20 years ago and I remember so vividly. And you know what that was the LAST video game I played!

Originally Posted by traceyqns
    I used to be the same as a kid. I remember staying up ALL night w/a friend to complete mario brothers! Of course didn't make it to school the next day. I remember to this day how we killed the last guy we had to jump on his head to kill him. That was almost 20 years ago and I remember so vividly. And you know what that was the LAST video game I played!

DW would stay up all weekend playing games with her dad and sister. (After homework was done.) They'd be dragging come Monday.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Austin
    Originally Posted by traceyqns

DW would stay up all weekend playing games with her dad and sister. (After homework was done.) They'd be dragging come Monday.

Ha - my brother and I were much the same! And our mom was our partner in "crime". We had an original atari and Nintendo system.

I feeeeel soooo old, or at least feel like I didn't have very cool stuff when I was a kid. We had the library and the backyard.
    My several years younger brother was allowed to buy a video game console for himself when he was around 14 or so, he really enjoyed it. He is the most successful and 'normal' of the lot of us, too, come to think of it. wink

Dh and I are now talking about the "ds"...we do have wii and tv, and Ds8 plays a nice amount on his pc in his room, so I don't feel like we're depriving him, but if it could help bring ds in easier contact with other kids, sure, why not give it a go.

I am seeing them on ebay for around $120 used...what are the coolest games for 8y.o. boys? Is the Spore thing for kids that young?
    I saw some lego games, which I know he's enjoyed in pc. I will ask ds too, of course, but suggestions here are always good info.

Tracey, I hope I am not in your regrets-boat soon! but I can come back here and blame everyone... laugh
    Oh, yeah, and mostly the dr... (I really am just kidding!)

Last edited by chris1234; 04/01/09 11:35 AM.
    Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM