Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    L
    L
    Video games definitely helped my son socially. It gave him something to talk about with other kids when he couldn't really talk to them about sports or his other interests. His friends love to come to our house to play with the PS3. They play other friends online who couldn't come to the party but have their own PS3, and my son has met his friends' friends who enjoy the same games. They have so much fun with this and there is no way I would deny my son this little bit of fun.

I want my son to have some good memories of his childhood and I know he will remember some really good times with his friends.

My son plays games like Professor Layton's Curious Village. It has logic puzzles that require math knowledge and it is a fun way to keep him thinking about math, which is his least favorite subject.

I try to find fun ways to encourage my son to keep learning and video games and computer games have always been a part of it because they work for him. The only time he plays games that don't require thinking or strategy is when I want him to memorize or listen to something that he might think is boring. I can read to him and he can easily answer questions about what I read and he retains the information. I think he is able to pay better attention to what he is learning while playing a video game than he is if he were not playing a game. My husband and I used to listen to a radio at work when we had to do work that was tedious and boring. But I know that one of my son's friends tunes everything else out when he is playing a video game so it would not work for him.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Yep Belle Same here LOL!!
    The wanting to complete the games is bad!
    Don't get Star Wars it is over 200 levels!
    No my DS6 searches for cheat sheets on the internet to learn how to pass the levels.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    I like the idea of bartering for computer/game time

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Yeah well yeah "other areas neglected" Well yeah I would say he wouldnt even EAT if I didnt force him to stop!
    So yeah we have to detox!

T
    OP Offline
    T
    The programming end is a great idea. I am actually a programmer myself but not video games LOL!

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Well at least programming is productive!

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Yes I know Mia he will hate me and say I am the worst mommy in the world but you are right he can't regulate it himself.
    You are smart not to get a ds for your son. I can't tell you how much I regret it. Before the ds he was fine on the computer and was not obsessed because the computer was not portable. What a big mistake to get the ds.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    WOW ! So no TV for you at all after kindergarten??????? For real??

T
    OP Offline
    T
    We had a play date recently where the other kid brought their ds and both kids sat there and started to play nintendo ds like zombies. I made them put them away it was horrible to see!

Originally Posted by Mia
    Shari -- where is your ds taking a programming class? I'd love to have ds do something like that!

Mia, I just started asking everyone I could think of and found a friend of a friend that is a software engineer. He's giving DS6 lessons once a week.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students