Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    At ds6's IEP meeting this morning, the psych told me that the state's determination of LDs is going to change. Until now, it has been the difference between ability and achievement. Instead, it will require below-average performance. While there are some nice procedural aspects (involving immediate intervention on the part of the teacher - shouldn't that already be happening) before an LD will be diagnosed, I don't see where that leaves 2E kids. A big fat nowhere, I guess.

The change had to do with "philosophical" issues (I guess that means money). But what a rotton philosophy - No Child Let Ahead, as I like to say. I guess gifted ed is expected to get a lot of axing too.

At least my kids are working their way out of their 2E issues such that it shouldn't affect them (and speech is the only thing that gets services separate from LDs - luckily speech is the only thing left on ds6's IEP), and we're fortunate to be able to get private therapy if they need it. But what about all those other kids who can't do that? What are they thinking about the future of this country if they would rather let everyone fall to average?? (that's a rhetorical question)

ok, vent over. Boy is that disappointing news. I feel like we're moving in the wrong direction.

A
    A
    Yes, I just found out that PA does not allow IEPs to be written for ADHD anymore unless the child is severely underperforming. I am very very worried about this also.:(

Yes the goal is to only have kids at the avg bar....no need to worry about a HG+ kid performing at avg level - they've done there job as that is the goal. THe goal isn't to get every child performing at his her best.

I
    I
    Is anyone else taking time to identify whether there is a parent advocacy group in their area, like the one I spoke to in VA. If we want our voices heard, it needs to go to the Federal level - in the meantime - you have to do what works for you indivdually -which on this board for the most part - means HSing I think!

Without getting political - I have to say - I'm finding it hard not to laugh a little at our discussion given the rest of the mess our Nation is in right now!!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM