Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #41673 03/17/09 05:47 AM
    L
    lanfan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hello everyone,

I took the very expensive plunge and signed my dd up for an online CTY class. We're doing the Young Readers: Dog Stories. When I asked my dd if she would like to read some books and talk about them with other kids who liked to read as much as she did her response was, "there are other kids?" I almost cried. The books look great and she posts her "assignments" on a blog - some original some in response to other kids comments. She is supposed to get constant feedback from a professor. We start on April 13 so I will submit a full report if anyone else has considered taking the plunge laugh

Last edited by lanfan; 03/17/09 05:47 AM.
    T
    T
    Hi,
    My DD12 took "Crafting the Essay". I think she got some very good ideas from the class, but the teacher commentary wasn't as useful to us as we might have hoped. There really isn't any back-and-forth between the teacher and the student similar to the discussion you would have in a live classroom. Instead, you read the chapter material, submit your writing sample, and wait for teacher feedback in the form of a one-time commentary.

The students do critique each other, which is most notable for the differing viewpoints you receive for the same piece of writing. And some of the student submissions were very imaginative.

In the end, my daughter felt she learned just from the process of writing, writing, writing. In short, it wasn't wildly inspirational, but it was a good experience.

L
    lanfan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks for the feedback. I am going to try to stay positive but was looking forward to some actual "teaching" of writing and critical thinking!! We'll see how it goes. Maybe I can talk her teacher into letting this take the place of some classroom work.

We just sign DS7 up for 2 classes, one with CTY and one with Stanford. (We did it this way for financial aid)

He is going to take the Build Blocks writing class from CTY, and 5th/6th grade math for stanford. He starts the math on April 1st and the english on the same day as you guys April 13.

I will come and update you on both.... he is very excited, he got an email saying that we paid the tuition that was not covered by financial aid.... which for us was a pretty big deal, he knows that we can't really afford it, ..... but we are going to anyway. smile

On Wednesday we are going to talk to the gifted and talented coordinator for the district to see if we can use this as a curriculum replacement.

L
    lanfan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Good luck with GT Coordinator meeting! Let me know how it goes. I am leaning in that direction as well. I think once I have all the texts and the syallbus for the course I will set up a discussion.

L
    lanfan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Soup,

I take it your son has skipped a grade. My dd's score met the qualification for third and fourth grade(i think?) but I assumed we should stick with the course for her current grade which is a fifth grade curriculum whereas the building blocks is middle school. I was tempted by the Young Readers: Magic class but again it was for 3rd or 4th grade. Whew so many choices and so much information!

good luck!

Yea, last year he skipped 2nd grade. He placed in 5th grade for both math and ela. He is ready for the building block... he needs it. I wasn't sure what to pick so i called CTY and told them all of his scores and what he is doing at home and school, and they suggested he take that course since he can only take one class.

I am worried about the math though, he placed strongly on the SCAT in 5th grade, but there are a lot of things he doesn't know...... I had to pick either 3rd / 4th, or 5th /6th.... so we went with 5th / 6th. Because of the way the financial aid works, we only have one shot... this is it for the entire year, 2009. He's doing 5th in his computer class at school and is really bored with the 3rd grade math in class. So hopefully he'll do ok.

Next school year the gifted program at his school kicks in and they are in the process of revamping it. So I can only hope!

We are thinking of having him take the SAT. If he scores a 700 then he can become part of a study through CTY...... this is what I have been told? We may give it a shot- if he becomes part of the study, then I think he'll get some classes free.....

"There are other kids?" Ouch!

Keep us posted!

L
    lanfan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Wow free classes. You should go for it!! My dd does not have the math skills for any type of advancement though I might have her retest to see if she can qualify and take science courses next summer.

Originally Posted by lanfan
    Wow free classes. You should go for it!! My dd does not have the math skills for any type of advancement though I might have her retest to see if she can qualify and take science courses next summer.

we didn't think ds7 did either... then he kindergarten and BAM.. there they where! the same thing happened this year with creativity... all of a sudden he's Mr. Creativity! He blooms like a flower! :P

Maybe she'll suddenly blossom them under everyone's nose! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets