Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by BaseballDad
    (The bishop one, for instance, is a Pong-like game in which the ball moves along diagonals only and you try to get it to smash the toilet bowls that show up in random places. It's amazing how funny toilet bowls can be.)

Toilet bowls? I have no doubt the game will get DS4 highest approval then wink I am sick and tired of 4 year old potty humor but he will so appreciate a game with a toilet bowl crazy

LMom
    Originally Posted by JB
    I think I need to play Fritz & Chester. I had to look up en passant. I didn't know you could do that!

I'm not much better! I knew you could do it, but I had no idea why. The program does a terrific job explaining it: apparently it was a late development in chess history to allow the pawn two spaces on a first move. But they didn't want you to be able to do it in order to avoid being captured. So if the opposing pawn could have captured your pawn had it only been moved one space, then it is capture is legal when you move two spaces also. Tricky.

BB

Originally Posted by LMom
    Toilet bowls? I have no doubt the game will get DS4 highest approval then. I am sick and tired of 4 year old potty humor but he will so appreciate a game with a toilet bowl.

Yup. This is called "making a virtue out of a vice".

My DS will also approve! What is it about little boys and potty humor??

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    DS6 likes to play, and his school has an after school program for the kids that want to play each other. We havn't tried it, but there are a couple of boys in his class that he plays with. At home I have played an all pawns only game to learn pawn stratagy. The first pawn to reach the other side becomes a queen. We have also played the all pawns, and then added the bishops, or rooks, etc... . This has helped him understand how to use them in a more stratigic way. We also play the normal way.

S
    S-T Offline
    S
    DS was in that phase when he was 4yo. Everyday was chess day. He was lucky that his Kindy teacher allowed him to play chess on the iMac on days when she was in the classroom.
    Back than he read many chess books. He has a few favourites:-
    -How to Beat Your Dad at Chess by Murray Chandler
    -Chess for Kids by Michael Basman
    -Internet-Linked Complete Book of Chess (Usborne Internet-linked Reference)
    by Liz Dalby

He also visited chess sites like http://www.chesskids.com/

Joining the school's chess club (if any) is good as the child will get to play with different players.

Too bad DS doesn't even look at chess now.

J
    J
    I've noticed within the last year that DS5 has worked on strategy... chess, uno, random video games, etc. It's amazing to me, honestly, because he's put more thought into "moves" than I have sometimes.

DS6 finished Fritz & Chesster #1. DS4 still has one more task to finish before he can move to the last level but he is almost there.

I have only the best to say about the game. The boys learned the rules without any effort and are both mesmerized by chess. I couldn't be happier. BTW the toilet bowls have been a great hit smile

Of course the kids play horrible as to be expected. DS4 figured out the "style" of the computer game opponent and plays accordingly to that. He takes pretty much whatever he can and relies on the fact that the the computer hardly ever captures his pieces.

It's time for the next level. I ordered Fritz & Chesster #2. Has anybody tried it?

Grinity, thanks for the suggestion of switching sides. That's a marvelous idea. At least DS4 thinks so wink

LMom
    Originally Posted by JBDad
    Just curious about your experience with your child and when and how they started learning about strategy.

This is making me laugh today. Ds is home sick with a sore throat, etc., and Dh just taught him Black Jack.
    Ds is now treating me to a very formal game, teaching me the rules and strategy. Looks like we should reconsider that Easter trip to Atlantic City.

Last edited by chris1234; 04/03/09 10:48 AM.
    J
    J
    My teen used to play competitive chess when he was in the 5th and 6th grade. I had already stopped playing with him because he used to get out of chores by challenging me to another game, so I was very glad his school started a chess club. They went to area competitions and he had made his way to the state tournament that year. Some of these players have played chess for a few years, so my son wasn't to knowledgeable about the procedures for notations and calling for ref checks. He placed 6th out of 100 participants in his division but he left feeling very livid over the "unfair" cheating other players used.

If you are going to play competitively, I would encourage you to teach your child to be assertive about competition rules and safeguards to manage tactics some competitors use....even as 12 year olds.

With strategy....I have heard my son say he aims to win quickly with as few moves as possible. His favorite only takes two turns. He has also tries to increase his possiblities while minimizing his opponents.

I have tried to get him to play competitively again, however, he has told me he didn't want to be called a nerd.:S.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM