Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    hkc75 #40960 03/11/09 11:09 AM
    I
    I
    I saw this and thought it tied into your decision about developing weaknesses.

http://www.eideneurolearningblog.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by eideblog
    When a student struggles with learning, the most common response of a parent or teacher would seem to be to have them work longer and harder on weaknesses. Presumably strong areas should be able to take care of themselves. But this strategy could backfire. Intrinsic motivation can powerfully harness cognitive resources (increase attention, increased cognitive control) so that not only will the best resources be neglected, but also existing resources will come under attack as students become swallowed up in feelings of low self-esteem. If all your time in school is spent on your worst subjects, why wouldn't you think you're a failure?

hkc75 #40977 03/11/09 01:12 PM
    M
    M
    I work in a second grade classroom, and many second graders cannot write quickly and most can read higher than they can write. My son (now 11) could read and process at an 8th grade level at age 8 (2nd grade) but his writing was WAY behind normal. When I asked him about your situation, he said that he would recommend going to first grade, because he remembers learning a lot about writing in 1st grade, and then skip 2nd grade and go to 3rd because 2nd is a repeat of 1st. I think he is right on, but all school districts are different, as are schools within districts, and teachers within schools. It is hard, isn't it?

Edited to add: His main area of interest is history, so during the summer between 2nd and 3rd grades, I let him pick a topic of choice (USS Intrepid was the winner) and we researched like crazy and wrote a paper, all of which he enjoyed but it didn't help him writing at all - eventually, he caught up with his peers in this area. I dont think "tutoring" him in this area would have been beneficial because in his words "he would have rather been playing." I dont think a child has to be brilliant in everything???

Last edited by Mom2xx2xy; 03/11/09 01:16 PM.
    H
    hkc75 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Thank you inky for the link. That is very helpful. Thank you too
    Mom2xx2xy for your teacher/son input. I really need to find a way for DS6 to enjoy some part of his day in PS. He complained of being so bored before but now the test scores show he just needs to be accelerated in math (where they will only work with him on proficiency. He already knows the material so it will be boring to him). How can his IQ score place him at X and his school tests place him at A? And if he is so bored then what is going on? UGH! Sorry I will never figure this all out. How do parents of 150+ do it?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM