Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #40573 03/09/09 08:34 AM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Anyone have some good resources on this subject? Not everything seems to fit but DS6 does seem to have many of these characteristics (as well as many of Aspergers) and I am looking to incorporate some of the strategies for dealing with NVLD into our routine for him.

I was also curious if anyone's child has this diagnosis and what their testing profile might have showed with the SB-5. There seems to be lots of research on it with the WISC-IV but I am not finding much in relation to the SB-5 testing.

Last edited by crisc; 03/09/09 08:35 AM.

Crisc
    crisc #40578 03/09/09 09:41 AM
    There's a wonderful yahoo group for parents of kids who are gifted with NVLD and Aspergers. It's been a few years since I participated, but I believe it's still a busy group.

hth!

Lorel

Lorel #40583 03/09/09 10:00 AM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, I have found that group. Still waiting for them to approve my membership request.

Crisc
    crisc #40600 03/09/09 11:47 AM
    Umm, sorry, Crisc, did I tell you about them already? I don't always remember who I make suggestions to...

Lorel #40607 03/09/09 12:21 PM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    No, I am just a good googler... smile
    Thanks, Lorel.

I also just spoke with DS6's therapist and she is arranging for him to have a complete Neurological Evaluation to see if we can identify anything. Our previous testing didn't reveal anything but the giftedness so I am hoping that we can learn more about DS6 to help him better cope. I really hope that the behavior is related to a bad school fit but at this point I keep wondering if there might be something else.

Crisc
    crisc #40626 03/09/09 01:41 PM
    FWIW, I didn't see AS symptoms when I met your DS6, crisc. Of course, I am NO expert. But from another mom's perspective, I didn't see it.

Kriston
    Kriston #40637 03/09/09 03:38 PM
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    FWIW, I didn't see AS symptoms when I met your DS6, crisc. Of course, I am NO expert. But from another mom's perspective, I didn't see it.

Neither did I. He was a social and delightful boy.

LMom
    crisc #40703 03/10/09 05:27 AM
    Crisc - can you refresh me on the behaviors you're seeing? I do think a poor fit can have profound effects on kids. My friend's son had a very poor fit in school both academically and socially (very toxic environment for him) and his behavior was not good. now that he is no longer in that environment, all the behavior is gone. They were looking at all sorts of labels for him but to see him now, it wouldn't even occur to you to label him anything but a very smart, delightful boy.

Dazed&Confuzed #40746 03/10/09 08:27 AM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Most recently he punched another child in the face at school. He seems rude and condescending to others (even adults) and honestly I just don't think he is really good at reading the social cues. He doesn't know when he is being annoying and when I point it out he is totally crushed. He is very hard on himself and when he does get in trouble for "bad" behavior he doesn't even understand what he has done wrong most of the time. Reading about NVLD and some of the case studies really reminds me of DS6 is so many ways.

It's just so hard since DS6 really does seem to have a much more social personality outside of school and when with adults. It's the school setting and peer relations that seem to be the issue.

I think the real DS6 will show once he is in a better school environment--we are still waiting on an acceptance letter to a school for GT children for the fall. He just needs to make it through the next few months without having detention everyday (which DS6 seems to be enjoying this week smile )

Last edited by crisc; 03/10/09 08:27 AM.

Crisc
    crisc #40795 03/10/09 02:12 PM
    We had the same sorts of problems with DS7 when he was in his dismal-fitting 1st grade class. I don't think he actually punched anyone in school, but he was surly, angry, frustrated, and he cried at the drop of a hat. He was disrespectful to adults and nasty to children. He never got recess because he was always in trouble. He certainly hit his brother at least once a day (and usually more), and he practically never hits him now.

You met him--does all that bad stuff sound like the boy you met?

A bad school fit can cause all sorts of bad behaviors. I understand wanting to deal with other issues if they exist, but I fear that you can't get a very good read on what the issues are (not to mention if they are!) until you have the school fit sorted out, since it can cause virtually every problem you're seeing.

As always, I am no expert. And I realize that to the school, the behavior problems are the bigger issue, and they may not let you solve the fit problems until the behavior is straightened out.

*sigh*

I wish I could be helpful. I'm sorry for your troubles! frown

Kriston
    Kriston #40807 03/10/09 02:48 PM
    Hey crisc, is NVLD an executive function issue? How does is correlate to WISC scores?

Thanks,
    Neato

incogneato #40809 03/10/09 02:52 PM
    Crisc, also agree with what Kriston said.

DD6 told a little boy that she was going to punch him to the ground and make him cry like a little girl.

Kriston, you met her, does that sound like something she would do....oh....wait a sec.......

Seriously though, there was MUCH more to the story as there usually is, turns out he kept throwing things at her head when teacher wasn't looking.

I don't know about the rudeness to adults. I've seen an off the charts PG little girl do stuff like that. ((shrug))

incogneato #40858 03/10/09 07:14 PM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks everyone! I really just wish that the next 3 months of the school year were already over. It can't come soon enough, IMO.

Crisc
    Kriston #40877 03/10/09 08:18 PM
    J
    J
    So many of these things overlap with characteristics and symptoms and signs... DS5 is extremely sensitive, and the more boredom that sets in, the more trouble he will get in (at home and at school). Everyone who meets him will tell you what an amazingly well behaved child he is and would not believe me for a moment that he has ever been the first one to throw a punch at school (though it's only happened once for us). Being frustrated and bored can bring out the "best" in all of us. I hope you find your answers, but like Kriston said, it could be just a bad fit.

JJsMom #44645 04/15/09 10:59 AM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Is anyone a member of the yahoo group for Gifted-NLD-AS support group? I have been waiting over a month for acceptance to the group with no reply from the list owner.

I can give e-mail and screen name through PM if neeed.

Thanks

Crisc
    crisc #44956 04/17/09 10:24 AM
    C
    C
    I was wondering the same thing. I have also been waiting a month or so to join the Yahoo group for Gifted-NLD-AS and the NLD-in common group but haven't heard anything.

Does anyone have any info on either of these groups?

cletus #50269 07/01/09 10:35 AM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Quick update:
    DS6 has his neuropsychological evaluation today. Based on his history, parent/teacher rating scales, and other documentation the two evalautors were unable to diagnose him with NLD, Aspergers, PPD, Autism, OCD, ODD, or any other acronym. They do feel that he has some mild anxiety and could benefit from social skills training due to his intellectual/emotional asynchrony. They also feel that a lot of his behaviors could be explained by a poor educational fit and his level of giftedness.

I am very relieved. We will continue counseling appointments and also continue with some of the NLD strategies that we have read about and implemented in regards to social skills training. I am glad that we went through with the evaluation. I think it we didn't I would have kept second guessing myself. I didn't want to chalk everything up to being gifted and miss some obvious medical diagnosis that he could have benefited by treatment.

Please everyone keep good thoughts for us that DS6 will be able to attend the new private school for gifted children this fall and not have to return to public school.

Also thanks to everyone for their continued support. I love all my friends who "live in the computer".

Last edited by crisc; 07/01/09 11:16 AM.

Crisc
    crisc #50274 07/01/09 11:21 AM
    Good. I'm not AT ALL surprised that there was nothing to diagnose, but I'm glad. smile

I'm really hoping that the new school will work oh-so-much better for him.

Thanks for the update!

Kriston
    Kriston #50279 07/01/09 12:50 PM
    crisc, that's wonderful news! smile

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the new school works out.

Cathy A #50289 07/01/09 05:38 PM
    That's wonderful news! Best wishes for the new school.

Neato

incogneato #50292 07/01/09 08:34 PM
    That's great news! Fingers crossed the private school works out for you and you can both put all this behind you.

How is he doing now, when the school is no longer in session?

LMom
    crisc #50447 07/05/09 05:01 PM
    B
    B
    Hi crisc, That is a great news! I totally understand what you've gone through emotionally. My son 8 has Asperger's and we just finished a series of evaluation for ADHD.
    His school requested it because of his increasing behavioral problems at school.

I think Social skills training would be very beneficial for your son. My son's been taking those classes for years and they definitely helped improving his social awareness, peer interactions and coping skills.

Good luck on his new school!

crisc #50448 07/05/09 05:53 PM
    S
    S
    Hello. I was going to introduce myself with a typical "hi, I'm a newbie" post, but figured I'd accomplish that while naming a couple of venues I've frenquented.

A couple of online fora to which I contribute/"belong" are:

http://www.nldline.com

Another is one for which you have to get permission to join. It's a private list for adults with NVLD at yahoogroups:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nldadult/

Well, I'm sure there are a few more, but these are ones I know about and for which I can vouch. Have a good one, everybody.

-stan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent