Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #40573 03/09/09 08:34 AM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Anyone have some good resources on this subject? Not everything seems to fit but DS6 does seem to have many of these characteristics (as well as many of Aspergers) and I am looking to incorporate some of the strategies for dealing with NVLD into our routine for him.

I was also curious if anyone's child has this diagnosis and what their testing profile might have showed with the SB-5. There seems to be lots of research on it with the WISC-IV but I am not finding much in relation to the SB-5 testing.

Last edited by crisc; 03/09/09 08:35 AM.

Crisc
    crisc #40578 03/09/09 09:41 AM
    There's a wonderful yahoo group for parents of kids who are gifted with NVLD and Aspergers. It's been a few years since I participated, but I believe it's still a busy group.

hth!

Lorel

Lorel #40583 03/09/09 10:00 AM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, I have found that group. Still waiting for them to approve my membership request.

Crisc
    crisc #40600 03/09/09 11:47 AM
    Umm, sorry, Crisc, did I tell you about them already? I don't always remember who I make suggestions to...

Lorel #40607 03/09/09 12:21 PM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    No, I am just a good googler... smile
    Thanks, Lorel.

I also just spoke with DS6's therapist and she is arranging for him to have a complete Neurological Evaluation to see if we can identify anything. Our previous testing didn't reveal anything but the giftedness so I am hoping that we can learn more about DS6 to help him better cope. I really hope that the behavior is related to a bad school fit but at this point I keep wondering if there might be something else.

Crisc
    crisc #40626 03/09/09 01:41 PM
    FWIW, I didn't see AS symptoms when I met your DS6, crisc. Of course, I am NO expert. But from another mom's perspective, I didn't see it.

Kriston
    Kriston #40637 03/09/09 03:38 PM
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    FWIW, I didn't see AS symptoms when I met your DS6, crisc. Of course, I am NO expert. But from another mom's perspective, I didn't see it.

Neither did I. He was a social and delightful boy.

LMom
    crisc #40703 03/10/09 05:27 AM
    Crisc - can you refresh me on the behaviors you're seeing? I do think a poor fit can have profound effects on kids. My friend's son had a very poor fit in school both academically and socially (very toxic environment for him) and his behavior was not good. now that he is no longer in that environment, all the behavior is gone. They were looking at all sorts of labels for him but to see him now, it wouldn't even occur to you to label him anything but a very smart, delightful boy.

Dazed&Confuzed #40746 03/10/09 08:27 AM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Most recently he punched another child in the face at school. He seems rude and condescending to others (even adults) and honestly I just don't think he is really good at reading the social cues. He doesn't know when he is being annoying and when I point it out he is totally crushed. He is very hard on himself and when he does get in trouble for "bad" behavior he doesn't even understand what he has done wrong most of the time. Reading about NVLD and some of the case studies really reminds me of DS6 is so many ways.

It's just so hard since DS6 really does seem to have a much more social personality outside of school and when with adults. It's the school setting and peer relations that seem to be the issue.

I think the real DS6 will show once he is in a better school environment--we are still waiting on an acceptance letter to a school for GT children for the fall. He just needs to make it through the next few months without having detention everyday (which DS6 seems to be enjoying this week smile )

Last edited by crisc; 03/10/09 08:27 AM.

Crisc
    crisc #40795 03/10/09 02:12 PM
    We had the same sorts of problems with DS7 when he was in his dismal-fitting 1st grade class. I don't think he actually punched anyone in school, but he was surly, angry, frustrated, and he cried at the drop of a hat. He was disrespectful to adults and nasty to children. He never got recess because he was always in trouble. He certainly hit his brother at least once a day (and usually more), and he practically never hits him now.

You met him--does all that bad stuff sound like the boy you met?

A bad school fit can cause all sorts of bad behaviors. I understand wanting to deal with other issues if they exist, but I fear that you can't get a very good read on what the issues are (not to mention if they are!) until you have the school fit sorted out, since it can cause virtually every problem you're seeing.

As always, I am no expert. And I realize that to the school, the behavior problems are the bigger issue, and they may not let you solve the fit problems until the behavior is straightened out.

*sigh*

I wish I could be helpful. I'm sorry for your troubles! frown

Kriston
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs