Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    JRB -
    How frustrating.

I'm quite sure that you need a 504 plan, and I would request one, in writing, on paper, to the Principle or the Special Education Department.

Even though I like all the consiliatory things everyone is saying, I would consider, in this situation, writing a letter, on paper, quoting all the emails you've sent that have gone unanswered, sort of a -

'I understand that emails can get lost, so I am sending you and the Principle this letter outlining all of the attempts that I have made to contact you. My son is very unhappy and failing Math, and waiting 2 weeks for an appointment to sit down with you seems unreasonable. I understand that you are very busy, but perhaps we could find a sooner time to sit down together and discuss this situation before this situation gets any more out of hand.'

I would hand deliver it to the principle and put it into the teacher's in box. Then duck and cover (as I will now do!)

Anxiety is a serious medical condition. Your son is 11 years old! It's high time that the school respond to your concerns.

BTW - what grade is this? Is this the first year in Middle School or the last year in Elementary?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    jbr3610 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks Grinity,
    I can always count on you for a tell-it-like-it is answer.
    I only have a sec, but after speaking with another parent yesterday who is also having issues, as well as a friend/teacher who is appalled at this treatment, I will be sending a letter to the principle today ( Grinity, I may be plagerizing you, by the way ).

We are in 5th grade, Middle School is next year *shudder*.

hkc... Glad you have found a solution for you....it's nice to hear we are not alone.

JBR

J
    jbr3610 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    NEWSFLASH ( how do I use the emoticon with the smiley face with steam coming out of his ears?)

The counselor just called and pushed back our conference date to the "18th, 19th or 25th, whichever day works for you"

I sent a letter to the principal.

Grinity, I am pm'ing a copy to you for your amusement.
    JBR

((roll video of Mr. Burnes Shuddering with Delight, hissing: ))
    Excellent....

5th grade is probably good news in this situation - gives you plenty of time to sort things out before high school, when the actual grades 'really' count. Niddle School may be a much better fit for him. My son really appreciated not having the same teacher hitting her head against the wall 6 hours a day over him.

Plus in middle school, more abstract thought is expected, which made a welcome change from - if you can't color in the lines properly you are a failure.

Also - in Middle school, there is a certian expectation that kids will have individual preferences and be offended to be treated like babies. This also made MS more appealing to my son.

I cant wait to read my PM!

Go JBR!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs