Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    T
    T
    Hi Ianfan,
    Yeah like we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Finally my DS6 is wiping himself (being a perfectionist he was worried he would miss some of it) Gross I know sorry. But here I am w/a "misfit" child. Where does he belong, and I flip flip everyday. We send our kids to school to learn and when they are not learning how can we not be upset.
    The perfect sit would be kids same age w/same academic skills but this is where we all have few options!!!

J
    J
    Originally Posted by traceyqns
    Finally my DS6 is wiping himself (being a perfectionist he was worried he would miss some of it) Gross I know sorry.

Sorry to "hijack" this thread, but is this common for GT kids or just perfectionists? DS5 is both, and he only does it b/c he has no other choice at this point. We do make sure he is cleaned so he does not have a cow about thinking he's dirty.

DD3 has been doing it herself for about 3 months now (couldn't reach before).

T
    T
    Hmm I don't really know how common this is, I just know most other kids I know have been wiping since 3.
    Maybe it is common LOL!!

T
    T
    Originally Posted by crisc
    The one that probably ticks me off the most is:

"Just let him be a kid".....

What does that even mean?????

It means they don't have a clue what is it like to have a gifted child who craves knowledge.

L
    L
    Hey Tracy,

I sort of liken all of these comments to my thoughts when my kids were babies. Let me explain. I am big supporter of attachment parenting. Nursing, sleeping near baby, not letting them cry etc...It is what worked for me and I'm not saying it should work for everyone(just needed to add that caveat). When my pediatrician started instructing me on how to get my baby to go to sleep without holding her I shut him down. That's parenting advice and I'm here for medical advice. Same goes for teachers and school officials, in most cases. Surely there will be exceptions. I send my child to school to learn and socialize not to solicit advice on my parenting skills. I am happy to entertain their suggestions but it must work both ways because maybe just maybe if you let my kid be the kid they want to be and teach to their level and skill set the other issues will disappear. It's a dream I know.

To respond to others on the board as well. I hear you!! One teacher said that maybe she is not doing her work at school because she views it as a time to relax - meaning I force her to do so much at home and should just let her be a kid. My dd spends the bulk of her time playing with plastic figures, swinging on swings, doing ballet, and digging up bugs in the mud. She also happens to love reading ficition and about reptiles and wants to be a chemist.

Why can't they just accept her for who she is. A thoughtful shy child who struggles to keep track of her possessions...

J
    J
    Originally Posted by traceyqns
    Hmm I don't really know how common this is, I just know most other kids I know have been wiping since 3.
    Maybe it is common LOL!!

Interesting. DS5 has been potty trained since before age 2, yet this was a huge issue for us. On his 5th birthday, I even did the "I don't have to wipe anymore" dance! whistle

H
    hkc75 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Unless I'm in a 'stir-the-pot' mood, when I say:
    'Yeah, but at least I don't have to worry about those phone calls we used to get from other parents saying that my son ruined their child's childhood by explaining to them about (fill in the blank: Santa, Where Babies Come From, The Economy!)

Grinity this is great! At Christmas we were told via several school sources that DS6 was constantly discussing the "Santa myth" with his fellow classmates. He was very disturbed that his friends bought into the "lie". We were asked to please discuss this with him. The Economy is a whole 'nother thread.

I agree 100% with let kids be kids. But when your kid's interests are philosophical, deep conversations about existence, life, science, evolution, economics, etc, isn't fostering that letting them be a kid? I mean the same people then turn around and "accuse" your child as being immature. "If they are so 'gifted' as you say, then why can't they sit still?" And I love the Bill Engval "Here's your sign" comment. ROFLMAO

J
    J
    Originally Posted by lanfan
    I am happy to entertain their suggestions but it must work both ways because maybe just maybe if you let my kid be the kid they want to be and teach to their level and skill set the other issues will disappear. It's a dream I know.

Oooh, I have that dream too!

T
    T
    Hi JJsmom,
    Is your DS5 a perfectionist?

T
    T
    Originally Posted by lanfan
    One teacher said that maybe she is not doing her work at school because she views it as a time to relax

I cannot believe a teacher said this!!
    Wow that is crazy.
    And this teacher never thought the kid is BORED out of her mind!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM